Subject: Re: bug#12579: 24.1; Emacs 24.1 / 24.2 (daily) crashes

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2012 16:07:45 +0200

> From: "Fabrice Niessen" <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2012 14:51:39 +0100
> 
> I don't use cmdproxy.exe; I use Cygwin bash for all my shell calls:

Which could be the reason for the problem, btw, because Cygwin console
programs work differently wrt their standard streams than native
Windows programs.

> But I definitely (re-)confirm that I see es.exe processes in the ps command:
> 
> 1. I type up to 2 chars in the prompt, nothing yet
> 2. As soon as I type a 3rd one, there is a es.exe process launched...
> 3. ... running for between a (sub-)second to 27 seconds (when I typed "eee" as
>    the pattern, for the first time)
> 4. es.exe disappears from the ps list without me doing anything else (no extra
>    char typed).
> 
> If I, then, type a 4th char, another instance of es.exe is launched.

This is normal: I guess es.exe exits when it's done doing whatever it
was that helm-for-files invokes it.

> In fact, Emacs launches a bash which launches a es.exe process.

If helm-for-files uses shell-command or its ilk to invoke es.exe, then
this is normal.

The question is, what do you see in Emacs subprocesses when Emacs
hangs.