Subject: Re: bug#12579: 24.1; Emacs 24.1 / 24.2 (daily) crashes

From: "Fabrice Niessen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2012 23:24:38 +0100

Eli,

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> From: "Fabrice Niessen" <[email-masked]>
>> 
>> My gut feeling is also that `es.exe' is (co-)responsible. In fact, this is more
>> than a gut feeling, as it's somehow based on a beam of presumptions:
>> 
>> - with the latest versions of Emacs, the infloop always occur when using
>>   helm-for-files (never, for example, when using helm-M-x, which is the other
>>   tool I'm using, as frequently, from Helm)
>> 
>> - `es.exe' is launched after having typed at least 3 characters in the prompt,
>>   and I've never seen an infloop with less characters (that is, only one or
>>   two) typed at the prompt: I always have typed a pattern of at least 5 to 6
>>   chars before the freeze occurs (sometimes, even much more, when being
>>   deleting many characters because I typed an fault in the filename I'm after)
>> 
>> - on Monday, after having gotten several frozen Emacs (since the last reboot
>>   of Windows -- once every 3 weeks or so), I had noticed up to 7 instances of
>>   `es.exe' (I guess they were hanging as some zombies, though I don't know to
>>   prove this -- any idea?)
>
> How (with what compiler) was es.exe compiled?  Was MinGW GCC, Cygwin
> GCC, MSVC, something else?

I don't know the details, but I downloaded `es.exe' (53 KB) from
http://www.voidtools.com/download.php, months ago: apparently, in December
2010 if I can trust the modification date on my file system -- this seems just
right, btw.

It does seem to me to be a pure Win32 application, but maybe you know how to
know more?

>> Does this give you more trust into Thierry's assumption?
>
> Not really.  I'd need to know much more about es.exe, like how it
> communicates with Emacs, and how it differs from any other
> garden-variety of console programs, like locate.exe itself, before I
> could make up my mind about this.

I'll let Thierry comment on this...

Best regards,
Fabrice