Subject: Re: bug#12579: 24.1; Emacs 24.1 / 24.2 (daily) crashes

From: "Fabrice Niessen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2012 12:10:28 +0100

Eli, Thierry,

> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>>> (gdb) thread apply all backtrace
>>
>> This indicates you had 3 network streams that Emacs was reading from.
>> Any idea which connections were those?
>
> The "only" things I use Emacs for are:
>
> - editing local files (found on my computer, not on a network share)
> - reading and composing mails with Gnus
>
> I'm not using W3M nor IRC nor ...
>
> However, if process communications are seen as network streams, then some of
> them could be used for talking to the "es.exe" process ("Everything", used by
> Helm-for-files, as a replacement for the Unix "locate" command).

Got once again an infloop. Once again when completing the pattern for
Helm-for-files.

Though, now, I've added some extra tracing to try and understand what's
happening: I run the following command in a terminal window

  while true; do ps aux | grep "/es"; sleep 1; echo ""; done

I get such "logs":

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
     7108       1    7108       6464  ?       1007 11:37:22 /cygdrive/d/home/sva/winbin/es
     7108       1    7108       6464  ?       1007 11:37:22 /cygdrive/d/home/sva/winbin/es
     7108       1    7108       6464  ?       1007 11:37:22 /cygdrive/d/home/sva/winbin/es

     (nothing for several minutes)

     8036       1    8036       7164  ?       1007 11:49:01 /cygdrive/d/home/sva/winbin/es
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Sometimes, "es" lines are duplicated, meaning that the "es" process is running
for more than one second.

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
     (nothing for several minutes)

     5620       1    5620       5756  ?       1007 11:49:38 /cygdrive/d/home/sva/winbin/es

     (infloop)
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Now, I got the infloop with the above last line: "es" disappeared while I was
still (trying to) complete the filename at the pattern prompt. That must
explain, somehow, the problem: "es" is not there anymore, but Emacs still
waits on it.

More hints?  I don't have right now: the file pattern has nothing special, is
not always the same, etc.

>>> I don't understand the 2 screen processes (I just see 1), but that must
>>> explain the 2 zsh processes...

I've just seen that it's "normal" to get 2 screen processes, and 2 zsh
processes per tab. No weirdness there, thus.

Best regards,
Fabrice Niessen