Subject: Re: bug#12579: 24.1; Emacs 24.1 / 24.2 (daily) crashes

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 17:36:47 +0200

> From: "Fabrice Niessen" <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked],  [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 10:45:45 +0200
> I've also disabled the bidirectional reordering of text for display in the
> visual order:
> 
>    (setq-default bidi-display-reordering nil)

No, please don't do that, at least not in the context of tracking the
bug in this thread.  Turning off bidi-display-reordering is supported
only as a means to debug the display engine.  By setting that variable
to nil, you may well bump into additional bugs and even crashes that
no one is interested in fixing.

If the default setting of bidi-display-reordering results in some
trouble, please report that as bugs, so that they could be fixed.  The
old unidirectional display is deprecated, so the sooner we fix any
remaining problems in the bidirectional display engine, the better.

TIA