Subject: Re: bug#12570: 24.2.50; C-u does not work in read-passwd

From: Michael Welsh Duggan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2012 13:45:19 -0400

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

>> When read-passwd was changed in revision 107874
>> ([email-masked]) to use
>> read-string, it no longer allows C-u to reset the currently entered
>> string.
>
> You can use C-a C-k, instead, like in any other minibuffer.

If you truly think that this is TRT, so be it.  I will adjust
(eventually).  But it does sit uneasily in my mind.  I can type C-u to
cancel typing in passwords for login shells, ssh-add, and just about any
other program that accepts a password.  It feels odd to switch my
password typing habits just in Emacs.  When I fumble-finger a password,
I barely pause in typing before typing C-u and continuing to type.  The
change is consistent with the rest of Emacs, but I do not know that I
can declare it a wise consistency in this case.

-- 
Michael Welsh Duggan
([email-masked])