Subject: Re: bug#12566: ls case-insensitivie

From: Bob Proulx <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2012 09:44:34 -0600

Michael Talbot-Wilson wrote:
> Thanks for your quick and detailed reply to a mistaken bug report.  My
> other mistake:
> 
> $ export LC_ALL=en_AU.utf-8; export LC_COLLATE=C; locale

Ah, right.  LC_ALL is the highest priority control.  It overrides
LC_COLLATE.  So in practice LC_ALL=C is useful to force 100% of
everything to a standard setting.  But the reverse of trying to pick
and choose features such as LANG=en_AU.utf-8 LC_COLLATE=C requires
LC_ALL to be unset.  (Which I have mostly said for the purpose of
people searching the archive because you have already determined this
from your case example.)

Since you are talking about bash file glob expansion let me also note
this message:

  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-bash/2012-05/msg00086.html

It notes that future versions of bash will have an option to enable
Rational Range Interpretation of [a-z] and [A-Z].

Thank you for helping to make GNU better.  I have closed this bug
ticket.  Feel free to continue the discussion as I just did with this
message.  It will still reach all of the participants.

Bob