Subject: 24.2; doc fix for completing-read

From: Ikumi Keita <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2012 00:35:38 +0900

This bug report will be sent to the Bug-GNU-Emacs mailing list
and the GNU bug tracker at debbugs.gnu.org.  Please check that
the From: line contains a valid email address.  After a delay of up
to one day, you should receive an acknowledgement at that address.

Please write in English if possible, as the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators for other languages.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug, and
the precise symptoms of the bug.  If you can, give a recipe
starting from `emacs -Q':

C-h f completing-read RET shows the following message.

     (snip)

     If INITIAL-INPUT is non-nil, insert it in the minibuffer initially,
     (snip)
     default value DEF instead.  The user can yank the default value into
     the minibuffer easily using M-x next-history-element.

I suppose "M-n" is better for the last part than "M-x
next-history-element".  Here is a working fix.

*** minibuf.c.orig	2012-08-23 14:33:42.000000000 +0900
--- minibuf.c	2012-08-28 22:49:49.000000000 +0900
*************** DEFUN ("completing-read", Fcompleting_re
*** 1687,1693 ****
    functions, which use one-indexing for POSITION.)  This feature is
    deprecated--it is best to pass nil for INITIAL-INPUT and supply the
    default value DEF instead.  The user can yank the default value into
!   the minibuffer easily using \\[next-history-element].
  
  HIST, if non-nil, specifies a history list and optionally the initial
    position in the list.  It can be a symbol, which is the history list
--- 1687,1693 ----
    functions, which use one-indexing for POSITION.)  This feature is
    deprecated--it is best to pass nil for INITIAL-INPUT and supply the
    default value DEF instead.  The user can yank the default value into
!   the minibuffer easily using \\<minibuffer-local-map>\\[next-history-element].
  
  HIST, if non-nil, specifies a history list and optionally the initial
    position in the list.  It can be a symbol, which is the history list

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
For information about debugging Emacs, please read the file
/home/keita/scr/emacs-24.2/etc/DEBUG.

In GNU Emacs 24.2.1 (i386-unknown-freebsd9.0, GTK+ Version 2.24.6)
 of 2012-10-02 on localhost.my.domain
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10707000
Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: ja_JP.eucJP
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: japanese-iso-8bit-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
C-h f c o m p l e <tab> i <tab> g <tab> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> t i n <tab> <return> <M-next> 
<M-next> M-x r e p o r <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Making completion list...
Type C-x 1 to delete the help window, C-M-v to scroll help.

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail regexp-opt rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils help-mode easymenu view help-fns time-date
japan-util tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win
x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak
czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces
cus-face files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
make-network-process dbusbind dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)