Subject: bug#12550: -fPIC?

From: Mike Dupont <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2012 14:48:53 +0200

PROBLEM :
in the lib directory, it tries to use automake and libtool to produce
a shared lib, but it failes.

/usr/bin/ld: .libs/expat_justparse_interface.o: relocation R_X86_64_32
against `a local symbol' can not be used w\
hen making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
.libs/expat_justparse_interface.o: could not read symbols: Bad value
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [liboverpass-0.1.la] Error 1

SOLUTION :
in the lib dir, where needed :
make CXXFLAGS=-fPIC  CFLAGS=-fPIC

CONTEXT:
Linux gcc10 2.6.32-bpo.5-amd64 #1 SMP Fri Jun 11 08:42:31 UTC 2010
x86_64 GNU/Linux
ltmain.sh (GNU libtool) 1.5.26 Debian 1.5.26-4+lenny1 (1.1220.2.493
2008/02/01 16:58:18)
on the gnu toolserver :
h4ck3rm1k3@gcc10:~/experiments/Overpass-API/src/lib$ pwd
/home/h4ck3rm1k3/experiments/Overpass-API/src/lib
 URL: [email-masked]:h4ck3rm1k3/Overpass-API.git

see also, reported bug here  :
 https://github.com/drolbr/Overpass-API/issues/8

-- 
James Michael DuPont
Member of Free Libre Open Source Software Kosova http://flossk.org
Saving wikipedia(tm) articles from deletion http://SpeedyDeletion.wikia.com
Contributor FOSM, the CC-BY-SA map of the world http://fosm.org
Mozilla Rep https://reps.mozilla.org/u/h4ck3rm1k3
Free Software Foundation Europe Fellow http://fsfe.org/support/?h4ck3rm1k3