Subject: bug#1255: 23.0.60; linum-mode: no update after text-scale-adjust

From: "Juanma Barranquero" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 11:08:15 +0100

On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 03:59, Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> FWIW, the problem I pointed out is not linum's, but either a
>> limitation of the way text-scale-adjust is implemented, or a redisplay
>> bug. Linum just happens to be a good way to show it off.
>
> What makes you think so?

ELISP> (let ((ov (make-overlay (point) (point)))
             (str "01234"))
         (set-window-margins (selected-window) (length str))
         (overlay-put ov 'before-string (propertize " " 'display
`((margin left-margin) ,str)))
         nil)
nil
ELISP> (text-scale-increase 3)
t

And the "01234" text in the window margin is no longer entirely
visible. I.e., `set-window-margins' sets the margin width in
"character cells", and its pixel width does not vary when the
character size is increased by `text-scale-increaase' and friends.
This is unrelated to linum.el, AFAICS.

  Juanma