Subject: 24.2.50; Eager macro-expansion skipped due to cycle

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2012 14:53:39 +0200

This bug report will be sent to the Bug-GNU-Emacs mailing list
and the GNU bug tracker at debbugs.gnu.org.  Please check that
the From: line contains a valid email address.  After a delay of up
to one day, you should receive an acknowledgment at that address.

Please write in English if possible, as the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators for other languages.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug, and
the precise symptoms of the bug.  If you can, give a recipe
starting from `emacs -Q':

The recipe is:

  configure
  make bootstrap

Since about 2 weeks ago, I see these warning messages while
bootstrapping on MS-Windows, when Lisp files are being byte-compiled.
Two typical examples:

  Warning: Eager macro-expansion skipped due to cycle:
    Γאª => (load "erc-backend.el") => (macroexpand-all (defun erc-server-connect Γאª)) => (macroexpand (erc-log Γאª)) => (load "erc.el") => (load "erc-backend.el")
  Wrote d:/gnu/bzr/emacs/test2/lisp/erc/erc-autoaway.elc

  Warning: Eager macro-expansion skipped due to cycle:
    Γאª => (load "tramp.el") => (macroexpand-all (defun tramp-action-login Γאª)) => (macroexpand (with-connection-property Γאª)) => (load "tramp-cache.el") => (load "tramp.el")
  Wrote d:/gnu/bzr/emacs/test2/lisp/eshell/esh-module.elc

(I don't know what is that binary garbage, maybe some byte code.)

AFAICS, all of these messages are related either to loading tramp.el
or erc-backend.el.  But I may have missed others, not sure.

Please remember that byte compilation during bootstrap on Windows is
done with an Emacs binary dumped with .el version of the byte compiler
and its subroutines.  I never saw anything similar in "regular" byte
compilation after updating from the master repository, FWIW.

If I can give more information about this, please ask.

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
For information about debugging Emacs, please read the file
d:/gnu/bzr/emacs/trunk/etc/DEBUG.

In GNU Emacs 24.2.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2012-10-01 on HOME-C4E4A596F7
Bzr revision: 110321 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
Configured using:
 `configure --with-gcc (3.4) --no-opt --enable-checking --cflags
 -Id:/usr/include/libxml2 -DGLYPH_DEBUG=1'

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: ENU
  locale-coding-system: cp1255
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
M-x r e p o r t - e m <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 disp-table ls-lisp w32-win w32-vars
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment
lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process multi-tty emacs)