Subject: 24.2; Updating packages does not reload files.

From: Donald Ephraim Curtis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2012 20:49:37 -0500

package.el supports an "upgrade" feature from `package-list-packages'
that installs a new version of a package and removes the old one. I
updated the `helm' package on my system and you can see that when trying
to kill emacs, there is a problem where the hook seems to be trying to
execute a function but cannot find the doc string file.  This is because
the directories are named after the version.  

kill-emacs: Cannot open doc string file "/Users/dcurtis/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-20120921.1208/helm-adaptative.elc"

It would be nice to have package.el somehow reload the package files.

In GNU Emacs 24.2.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin12.1.0, Carbon Version 1.6.0 AppKit 1187)
of 2012-09-02 on bird.local
Windowing system distributor `Apple Inc.', version 10.8.2
Configured using:
`configure '--prefix=/usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.2' '--without-dbus'
'--enable-locallisppath=/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp'
'--infodir=/usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.2/share/info/emacs' '--with-mac'
'--enable-mac-app=/usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.2''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: nil
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: iso-latin-1-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  helm-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  helm-match-plugin-mode: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  undo-tree-mode: t
  ido-ubiquitous-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mac-mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
SPC b e c a u s e SPC t h e SPC v <backspace> d i r 
e c t o r i e s SPC a r e SPC n a m e d SPC a f t e 
r SPC t e h SPC v e r <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> h e r SPC <backspace> 
<backspace> SPC v e r s i o n . SPC S-SPC T h i s SPC 
i SPC <backspace> s SPC f i n e SPC b u t SPC b a s 
i c a l l y C-w C-w a n d SPC n o r m a l C-w C-w C-w 
C-w C-w C-n C-n C-n C-e <return> <return> C-o I t SPC 
w o u l d SPC b e SPC n i c e SPC t o SPC h a v e SPC 
p a c k a g e . e l SPC s o m e h o w SPC C-p C-k C-e 
u p d a t e C-n C-SPC C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p 
C-p C-p C-p C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-g C-n C-n 
C-n C-e SPC t h e SPC p a <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
r e l o a d - <backspace> SPC t h e SPC p a c k a g 
e SPC f i l e s . C-n C-SPC C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p 
C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n 
C-p C-p C-p M-w C-c C-g C-x k <return> y C-x RET r 
e p o r t SPC b u g C-g C-g C-x 1 C-x RET <return>

Recent messages:
Auto-saving...done
Mark set
Auto-saving...done
Mark set
Quit
Auto-saving...done
Mark activated

Buffer *unsent mail to mituharu* modified; kill anyway? (y or n)  y
Quit
Quit

Load-path shadows:
/Users/dcurtis/.emacs.d/elpa/ess-20120924.1839/.dir-locals hides /Users/dcurtis/.emacs.d/elpa/magit-20120926.1706/.dir-locals
~/.emacs.d/custom hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.2/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/custom
/Users/dcurtis/.emacs.d/elpa/python-20120924.1710/python hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.2/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/progmodes/python
/Users/dcurtis/.emacs.d/elpa/ess-20120924.1839/.dir-locals hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.2/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/gnus/.dir-locals

Features:
(newcomment shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rfc822 mml mml-sec
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
birds-of-paradise-plus-theme-autoloads helm-imenu semantic/util-modes
semantic/util semantic semantic/tag semantic/lex semantic/fw mode-local
cedet org ob-emacs-lisp ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table org-footnote
org-src ob-comint ob-keys ob ob-eval org-pcomplete org-list org-faces
org-compat org-entities org-macs noutline outline cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs imenu derived helm-elisp helm-eval eldoc bookmark pp
easy-mmode autoload tar-mode mule-util time-stamp mail-utils
network-stream starttls url-cache url-http tls mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums url-gw url-auth ibuf-ext ibuffer helm-command
misearch multi-isearch vc-git paredit dropdown-list yasnippet whitespace
melpa cyberpunk-theme helm-mode helm-files image-dired tramp
tramp-compat shell pcomplete format-spec tramp-loaddefs dired-x
dired-aux ffap helm-buffers helm-elscreen helm-tags helm-bookmark
helm-adaptative helm-info helm-net browse-url xml url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-util
url-parse auth-source assoc gnus-util password-cache url-vars mm-util
mail-prsvr mailcap helm-plugin helm-locate helm-help helm-match-plugin
helm-grep helm-regexp grep helm-external helm-utils dired compile comint
ansi-color helm cus-start cus-load mmm-auto mmm-vars mmm-compat
auto-complete-config auto-complete popup undo-tree diff smex
ido-ubiquitous ido winner ring paren savehist autorevert edmacro kmacro
server defun uniquify saveplace recentf tree-widget wid-edit misc
midnight checkdoc regexp-opt thingatpt help-mode view
ace-jump-mode-autoloads auctex-autoloads tex-site info easymenu
auto-complete-autoloads browse-kill-ring-autoloads
change-inner-autoloads color-theme-sanityinc-tomorrow-autoloads
csv-mode-autoloads cyberpunk-theme-autoloads deft-autoloads
diminish-autoloads ein-autoloads evil-autoloads evil-numbers-autoloads
expand-region-autoloads find-file-in-project-autoloads findr-autoloads
gist-autoloads gh-autoloads eieio helm-autoloads
ido-ubiquitous-autoloads inflections-autoloads jump-char-autoloads
logito-autoloads magit-autoloads mark-multiple-autoloads
markdown-mode+-autoloads markdown-mode-autoloads melpa-autoloads
byte-opt warnings bytecomp byte-compile cconv macroexp advice help-fns
advice-preload mmm-mode-autoloads multiple-cursors-autoloads
nrepl-autoloads clojure-mode-autoloads paredit-autoloads
pcache-autoloads finder-inf popup-autoloads powerline-autoloads
powerline python-autoloads smart-mode-line-autoloads smex-autoloads
surround-autoloads twilight-anti-bright-theme-autoloads
twilight-bright-theme-autoloads twilight-theme-autoloads
undo-tree-autoloads virtualenv-autoloads websocket-autoloads
yasnippet-autoloads package tabulated-list cl time-date tooltip
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel mac-win tool-bar dnd fontset
image fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple
abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face files text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote mac multi-tty make-network-process
emacs)