Subject: Re: bug#12545: 24.2; Updating packages does not reload files.

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2012 23:06:33 -0500

> I reproduced this error and the backtrace was:
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Cannot open doc string file
> \"/Users/dcurtis/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-20121027.641/helm-adaptative.elc\"")
>   helm-c-adaptive-save-history()
>   kill-emacs()
>   save-buffers-kill-emacs(nil)
>   save-buffers-kill-terminal(nil)
>   call-interactively(save-buffers-kill-terminal nil nil)

> Looks like a problem with helm-c-adaptive-save-hisotry possibly?

No, this sounds like the file helm-adaptative.elc was removed or
modified after you loaded helm in your Emacs session (so the error is
that Emacs is trying to lazily load the body of the
helm-c-adaptive-save-history function from the .elc file but can't
find it).

For some reason, Helm sets byte-compile-dynamic in most/all its
files, which introduces these kinds of problems.

Thierry, why do you use byte-compile-dynamic everywhere?
A few well-placed ;;;###autoload cookies usually get you the same (if
not better) speed up during startup without suffering from
such brittleness.

        Stefan