Subject: 24.2.50; incorrect behavior & formatting in Customize

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2012 09:28:17 -0700

emacs -Q
 
(defcustom foo ()
  "..."
  :type '(repeat (cons
                  string
                  (choice
                   (const flimpo)
                   (const nil)
                   (other t))))
  :group 'edit)
 
M-x customize-option foo
 
Click button INS.
 
(Optional: Enter something in field `String'.)
 
Choose `Other' in `Value Menu'.
 
An INS button pops up inappropriately under `Choice'.  If you click it
then it shows that it expects another `repeat' cell, at the wrong level.
 
If you click the outer (i.e., the correct) INS button, it behaves
normally.  But if you then choose `Other' in its `Value Menu' you get
the same problem again.
 
This broken behavior happens as long as you choose `Other' in `Value
Menu'.  If you choose one of the other possibilities then Customize
behaves correctly.
 
To me this is clearly a bug.  But it is so all the way back through
Emacs 20.  So I wonder - am I right?  I cannot believe that this
behavior is correct.  What am I missing?
 
In GNU Emacs 24.2.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2012-09-17 on MARVIN
Bzr revision: 110062 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
Configured using:
 `configure --with-gcc (4.7) --no-opt --enable-checking --cflags
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/src
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libpng-dev_1.4.3-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/zlib-dev_1.2.5-2/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/giflib-4.1.4-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/jpeg-6b-4/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/tiff-3.8.2-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-3.0.9/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libiconv-1.13.1-1-dev/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libxml2-2.7.8/include/libxml2'