Subject: bug#1253 closed by Jan Djärv <[email-masked]> (23.0.60; detached GTK+ tool bar shows no tooltips)

From: [email-masked] (Emacs bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2009 16:00:06 +0000

This is an automatic notification regarding your bug report
which was filed against the emacs package:

#1253: 23.0.60; detached GTK+ tool bar shows no tooltips

It has been closed by Jan Djärv <[email-masked]>.

Their explanation is attached below along with your original report.
If this explanation is unsatisfactory and you have not received a
better one in a separate message then please contact Jan Djärv <[email-masked]> by
replying to this email.

-- 
1253: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=1253
Emacs Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: 23.0.60; detached GTK+ tool bar shows no tooltips
From: Jan Djärv <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2009 17:54:50 +0200

I added tool tips. Unfortunately Gtk+ has a fundamental limitation that 
prevents tool tips from working in insensitive buttons.  The workaround used 
for menus and the tool bar proper can't be used in this case.

Still, better than nothing.

	Jan D.
>From [email-masked] Sat Oct 25 12:11:18 2008
From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: 23.0.60; detached GTK+ tool bar shows no tooltips
Sender: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2008 21:11:02 +0200

By default, tool tips pop up when the mouse pointer moves over tool bar
icons.  But when the tool bar is detached (possible with the GTK+ build)
and expanded, no tool tips pop up when the mouse pointer moves over the
icons of the expanded tool bar.  (Perhaps this is not an Emacs bug but a
GTK+ bug; I haven't found another GTK+ app that has a detachable tool
bar to compare.)

In GNU Emacs 23.0.60.12 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.12.9) of
2008-10-25 on escher

Steve Berman