Subject: bug#1253: 23.0.60; detached GTK+ tool bar shows no tooltips

From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 21:24:07 +0100

On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 22:59:32 +0200 Stephen Berman <[email-masked]> wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 21:11:02 +0200 Stephen Berman <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> By default, tool tips pop up when the mouse pointer moves over tool bar
>> icons.  But when the tool bar is detached (possible with the GTK+ build)
>> and expanded, no tool tips pop up when the mouse pointer moves over the
>> icons of the expanded tool bar.  (Perhaps this is not an Emacs bug but a
>> GTK+ bug; I haven't found another GTK+ app that has a detachable tool
>> bar to compare.)
>
> I forgot to add that when the tool bar is wider than the frame, so that
> a button is created (like with the detached tool bar) which expands to
> the show the remaining tool bar icons, tool tips also fail to pop up
> when the mouse moves over these icons.
>
> Steve Berman

I just learned about the variable x-gtk-whole-detached-tool-bar; when
this is non-nil, the detached tool bar is displayed just as when not
detached, i.e., horizontally, full-size, and fully expanded.  With this
detached tool bar, tool tips do pop up when the mouse pointer moves over
tool bar buttons, just as with the non-detached tool bar.  So it is only
with the vertically expanded detached tool bar (which has smaller
buttons), i.e., with the default nil setting of
x-gtk-whole-detached-tool-bar, that the tool tips are missing.

In GNU Emacs 23.0.60.29 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.14.4) of
2009-01-11 on escher 

Steve Berman