Subject: bug#12521: 24.2.50; normal buffer starts acting like minibuffer, has `InactiveMinibuffer' lighter

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 08:54:07 -0700

Sorry, I have no recipe.  If this helps, great; if not, please close.
 
I have no idea how it happened, but I've found myself with what was an
EmacsLisp buffer (i.e., code) suddenly acting as if it were a
minibuffer.  The modeline lighter includes `InactiveMinibuffer', and
when I click mouse-1 in the buffer it pops up the *Messages* buffer.
 
The buffer still has the Emacs-Lisp code in it, and it is marked
unmodified and looks normal (except that it is no longer font-locked for
Emacs-Lisp mode).
 
Again, I have no idea what happened, how, or why.  Here is the output
from `C-h l', but I doubt it will help (why oh why can't users customize
the length of its output?).
 
C-s C-a C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-r C-r C-r C-a
<C-S-down-mouse-1> <C-S-mouse-1> <C-S-double-down-mouse-1>
<C-S-double-mouse-1> <C-S-triple-down-mouse-1> <C-S-triple-mouse-1>
<down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> M-x l o a d - f <return> <return>
<down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> M-x d e b u g - o n <return>
<return> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-movement> <mouse-1>
M-x M-p M-p M-p <return> <help-echo> d <switch-frame>
<switch-frame> d <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <help-echo>
<help-echo> d <switch-frame> <switch-frame> d <switch-frame>
<switch-frame> d <switch-frame> <switch-frame> c <switch-frame>
<switch-frame> d <switch-frame> <switch-frame> c <switch-frame>
<switch-frame> d <switch-frame> <switch-frame> d <switch-frame>
<switch-frame> d <switch-frame> <switch-frame> d <switch-frame>
<switch-frame> d <switch-frame> <switch-frame> c <switch-frame>
<switch-frame> d <switch-frame> <switch-frame> d <switch-frame>
<switch-frame> c <switch-frame> <switch-frame> d <switch-frame>
<switch-frame> d <switch-frame> <switch-frame> c <switch-frame>
<switch-frame> d <switch-frame> <switch-frame> d <switch-frame>
<switch-frame> c <switch-frame> <switch-frame> d <switch-frame>
<switch-frame> d <switch-frame> <switch-frame> d <switch-frame>
<switch-frame> d <switch-frame> <switch-frame> d <switch-frame>
<switch-frame> d <switch-frame> <switch-frame> d <switch-frame>
<switch-frame> d <switch-frame> <switch-frame> d <switch-frame>
<switch-frame> d <switch-frame> <switch-frame> d <switch-frame>
<switch-frame> d <switch-frame> <switch-frame> c <switch-frame>
<switch-frame> d <switch-frame> <switch-frame> d <switch-frame>
<switch-frame> d <switch-frame> <switch-frame> d <switch-frame>
<switch-frame> d <switch-frame> <switch-frame> d <switch-frame>
<switch-frame> d <switch-frame> <switch-frame> c <switch-frame>
<switch-frame> d <switch-frame> <switch-frame> c <switch-frame>
<switch-frame> d <switch-frame> <switch-frame> d <switch-frame>
<switch-frame> <help-echo> <help-echo> d d d d c d
d d c d c d c d c d c d <down-mouse-1> <mouse-movement>
<mouse-1> <double-down-mouse-1> <double-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1>
<mouse-1> <double-down-mouse-1> <double-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1>
<mouse-1> <double-down-mouse-1> <double-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1>
<mouse-1> <double-down-mouse-1> <double-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1>
<mouse-1> <double-down-mouse-1> <double-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1>
<mouse-1> <double-down-mouse-1> <double-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1>
<mouse-1> C-a d d c d d d d d d d <help-echo> c c <tab>
<S-tab> <S-tab> C-g C-g C-g C-g C-g <down-mouse-1>
<mouse-1> <switch-frame> M-x M-p <return> <switch-frame>
<switch-frame> <help-echo> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1>
<mouse-1> <double-down-mouse-1> <double-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1>
<mouse-1> <double-down-mouse-1> <double-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1>
<mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1>
q <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <switch-frame> <down-mouse-1>
<mouse-1> <switch-frame> C-h l
 
I was in the debugger when this started happening.  Here is some of what
is at the end of *Messages*:
 
... (more of the same)...
Entering debugger...
Continuing.
Entering debugger...
Proceeding, will debug on next eval or call.
Entering debugger...
Proceeding, will debug on next eval or call.
Entering debugger...
Proceeding, will debug on next eval or call.
Entering debugger...
Proceeding, will debug on next eval or call.
Entering debugger...
Proceeding, will debug on next eval or call.
Entering debugger...
Proceeding, will debug on next eval or call.
Entering debugger...
Proceeding, will debug on next eval or call.
Entering debugger...
Continuing.
Entering debugger...
Continuing.
Computing completion candidates... [3 times]
Quit [4 times]
Entering debugger...
Back to top level.
Type "q" to delete help frame, M-x scroll-up to scroll help.
Mark set [2 times]
Saved text until "mouse-1>
<mouse-1> <switch-frame> C-h l
"

In GNU Emacs 24.2.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2012-09-17 on MARVIN
Bzr revision: 110062 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
Configured using:
 `configure --with-gcc (4.7) --no-opt --enable-checking --cflags
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/src
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libpng-dev_1.4.3-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/zlib-dev_1.2.5-2/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/giflib-4.1.4-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/jpeg-6b-4/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/tiff-3.8.2-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-3.0.9/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libiconv-1.13.1-1-dev/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libxml2-2.7.8/include/libxml2'