Subject: Re: bug#12515: 24.2.50; Error during redisplay: (eval (mode-line-eol-desc)) signaled (quit)

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 22:37:41 +0200

> From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
> Cc: <[email-masked]>
> Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 13:22:40 -0700
> 
> > Do you remember what were you doing when this happened?  Is it
> > possible you typed "C-g"?
> 
> No.  But yes, it is possible that I hit `C-g'.

Unless you see a lot of these messages in *Messages*, I wouldn't worry
about this.

What happens is that as part of redisplay of the mode line, the
display engine calls the function mode-line-eol-desc (defined on
bindings.el), which produces the end-of-line (EOL) indicator near the
left edge of the mode line.  Because signaling an error normally
re-enters redisplay (to display the error message), the display code
suppresses the normal way of processing signals from Lisp it calls,
and instead intercepts all signals and adds this kind of message to
*Messages*.  Since mode-line-eol-desc does not disable quitting (maybe
it should), hitting C-g when it runs could cause this signal, I think.