Subject: bug#12507: closed (Re: Option `(bookmark-)version-control': Use :tag so doc string matches menu)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2012 03:39:02 +0000

Your bug report

#12507: 24.2.50; `bookmark-write-file': use `write-file', not `write-region', to get backups

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
12507: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=12507
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: Option `(bookmark-)version-control': Use :tag so doc string matches menu
From: Karl Fogel <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2012 22:38:12 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Fixed (see below), but please review.  

I don't fully understand the whole customization system because I never
use it myself (I just read doc strings and set variables directly in
Elisp), so I don't quite get what `other' mean if used instead of
`const', and I didn't fully understand the last paragraph of the
original bug report.  I looked in the Info pages, but they didn't
clarify much about this.

-Karl

Revision info:

  revno: 110305
  revision-id: [email-masked]
  parent: [email-masked]
  committer: Karl Fogel <[email-masked]>
  branch nick: trunk
  timestamp: Sun 2012-09-30 22:32:06 -0500
  message:
    * lisp/bookmark.el (bookmark-version-control): Give tags in the
      :type choices (Bug#12309), and improve doc string.

Diff:

  === modified file 'lisp/ChangeLog'
  --- lisp/ChangeLog	2012-10-01 02:07:14 +0000
  +++ lisp/ChangeLog	2012-10-01 03:31:41 +0000
  @@ -1,3 +1,8 @@
  +2012-10-01  Karl Fogel  <[email-masked]>
  +
  +	* bookmark.el (bookmark-version-control): Give tags in the
  +	:type choices (Bug#12309), and improve doc string.
  +
   2012-10-01  Paul Eggert  <[email-masked]>
   
   	Revert the FOLLOW-SYMLINKS change for file-attributes.
  
  === modified file 'lisp/bookmark.el'
  --- lisp/bookmark.el	2012-09-25 04:13:02 +0000
  +++ lisp/bookmark.el	2012-10-01 03:32:18 +0000
  @@ -99,12 +99,14 @@
   
   (defcustom bookmark-version-control 'nospecial
     "Whether or not to make numbered backups of the bookmark file.
  -It can have four values: t, nil, `never', and `nospecial'.
  +It can have four values: t, nil, `never', or `nospecial'.
   The first three have the same meaning that they do for the
  -variable `version-control', and the final value `nospecial' means just
  -use the value of `version-control'."
  -  :type '(choice (const nil) (const never) (const nospecial)
  -		 (other t))
  +variable `version-control'; the value `nospecial' (the default) means
  +just use the value of `version-control'."
  +  :type '(choice (const :tag "If existing" nil)
  +                 (const :tag "Never" never)
  +                 (const :tag "Use the value of `version-control'" nospecial)
  +                 (const :tag "Always" t))
     :group 'bookmark)

Subject: 24.2.50; `bookmark-write-file': use `write-file', not `write-region', to get backups
From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 11:41:39 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I believe that `bookmark-write-file' should use `write-file', not
`write-region', because otherwise no backup file is made for the user's
bookmark file.
 
The original code used `write-file'.  The change was made to use
`write-region' on 2005-11-12:
 
 Revision ID: [email-masked]
 
 (bookmark-write-file): Don't visit the destination file, just write
 the data to it using write-region.  This is similar to revision 1.32
 of saveplace.el, but with an additional change to avoid visiting the
 file in the first place.
 
I'm no expert on this, but from what I see by experimenting, using
`write-region' means that no backup is made, and using `write-file'
creates a backup.  It is important for users to be able to have a backup
for their bookmark file.

In GNU Emacs 24.2.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2012-09-17 on MARVIN
Bzr revision: 110062 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
Configured using:
 `configure --with-gcc (4.7) --no-opt --enable-checking --cflags
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/src
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libpng-dev_1.4.3-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/zlib-dev_1.2.5-2/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/giflib-4.1.4-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/jpeg-6b-4/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/tiff-3.8.2-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-3.0.9/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libiconv-1.13.1-1-dev/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libxml2-2.7.8/include/libxml2'