Subject: Re: bug#12507: [debbugs-tracker] Processed: severity 12507 wishlist

From: Karl Fogel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 12:57:18 -0500

"Drew Adams" <[email-masked]> writes:
>> Set `bookmark-version-control' to `t', of course.
>
>OK, I thought of that, but that seems like a strange thing for the doc to
>suggest: customize it to `t', save your bookmark file, then re/un-customize it
>back to the default, `nil'.

Sorry?  I'm maybe not understanding your question.

If a user wants numbered backups of their bookmark data file, then they
would set (customize) `bookmark-version-control' to `t'.  If they don't,
then it's nil.  That is: they can leave it as the default (which would
be nil in my proposal) or if they really want to be certain, I suppose
they could explicitly customize it to nil.

>Is that really the best recommendation?  I have no special problem with
>it, but somehow I was expecting something else.

Can you describe what you were expecting?

Controlling numbered backups of the bookmark data file is the whole
reason the variable exists in the first place, so users should expect
that if they want to control that behavior, this variable is the place
to look.  (Of course it should be documented; my point is just that I
can't imagine what *other* mechanism would control this, since the only
reason the current mechanism exists is ... to control exactly this.)

-K