Subject: Re: bug#12507: [debbugs-tracker] Processed: severity 12507 wishlist

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2020 16:29:25 +0200

Karl Fogel <[email-masked]> writes:

> Lars, if you still want that change, shall we have quick conversation
> on emacs-devel about it, just people have a chance to weigh in?  I'm
> happy to make the change, but I also think it would be more coherent
> to do it together with some accompanying change that actually *uses*
> the new functionality -- and you suggested you might have some of the
> latter that you'd like to make.

I don't think further discussion of the feature is necessary, really --
it's something that I've wanted for a long time, and basically any
package that has some non-file-based data it wishes to store has to do
weird stuff if they don't want to actually visit a file to get a backup
file.

For instance `gnus-save-newsrc-file' for a particularly horrid old
example that could be reduced to a couple lines with a backup-file
function instead.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no