Subject: bug#12507: Have I mentioned how much I hate Debbugs?

From: Karl Fogel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2012 23:13:03 -0500

So, immediately after I mis-closed this report, I realized what happened
and ever since then I've been trying to reopen it.

First I emailed "12507-open@".  Then I tried "12507-reopen@".  Maybe
those emails are stuck in the pipe somewhere, or maybe those weren't
valid ways to issue the command to reopen.  In any case, now I'm reduced
to sending this mail and praying that it goes through, since unlike
every other bug tracker created since 1852 debbugs does not have a way
to manipulate bugs via the web browser.

In any case:

This bug is too complex to solve by the Oct. 1st freeze, sorry.  Just
reading & comprehending the conversation takes twenty minutes now.  My
preference would be to remove the `bookmark-version-control' variable
entirely, since probably so few people use it and it's now a bug source.
However, maybe it's important enough to keep, in which case we probably
need to fix `write-region' to DTRT with backups, or at least have some
kind of `write-region-make-backups' variable we can dynamically bind.

I don't want to revert to using `write-file'.  We switched *away* from
`write-file' for a reason.  Going back will probably mean a regression
of some sort.

-Karl