Subject: RE: [debbugs-tracker] Processed: severity 12507 wishlist

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 06:53:45 -0700

Why on earth would you relegate this to the wishlist?
This is about possible loss of user data.

I provided the fix, which takes 5 seconds to implement.
What's the problem?

Am I wrong that `write-region' does not provide for backups?
If not, then this is clearly a bug, and a pretty serious one, IMO.

bookmark.el even provides a user option, `bookmark-version-control', for
deciding whether and when to make numbered backups of the bookmark file.
AFAICT, that cannot possibly work if `write-region' does not create backups, as
is apparently the case.

FWIW, I made the same fix in Bookmark+.  I just think vanilla Emacs should
benefit its users as well.

Please read the bug report again and reconsider.  Thx.

> > severity 12507 wishlist
> > Bug #12507 [emacs] 24.2.50; `bookmark-write-file': use 
> > `write-file', not `write-region', to get backups
> > Severity set to 'wishlist' from 'normal'