Subject: bug#12505: Unknown colorls variable `rs'

From: Eric Blake <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 12:51:09 -0600

tag 12505 notabug
thanks

On 09/24/2012 11:46 AM, Rihan Haque wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> I am using a computing cluster to run my jobs which uses Unix system.
> When I submit jobs (using *.csh script) I get following error:
> Unknown colorls variable `rs'
> in the out put log file.

That message is coming from tcsh, not coreutils.

> 
> Could you please suggest a remedy?

Don't use .csh scripts?
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/unix-faq/shell/csh-whynot/

Beyond that, all I can suggest is to either:
1) change whatever input file you feed to dircolors (several distros let
you customize things in ~/.dircolors), until you omit whatever part of
that file is making dircolors generate the 'rs' designation that tcsh
doesn't like
2) hand-edit $LS_COLORS in your environment to manually omit that portion
3) file a bug report against your distro's packaging of tcsh to get them
to shut up tcsh's stupid message.  It's a bit of a shame that tcsh's
built-in 'ls' understands only a subset of LS_COLORS that coreutils' ls
understands, yet verbally complains about what it doesn't recognize.

At any rate, since this is not a bug in coreutils, I'm closing the
associated bug report, although you should feel free to continue on this
thread if you have more questions or comments.

-- 
Eric Blake   [email-masked]    +1-919-301-3266
Libvirt virtualization library http://libvirt.org