Subject: bug#12504: `bookmark-rename' and `bookmark-maybe-historicize-string'

From: Karl Fogel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2012 22:57:37 -0500

I agree there is a bug, or maybe a buglet, here, for the reasons you
describe, but I'm not sure how to solve it.

Does invoking functions through a menu result in an environment where
`called-interactively-p' returns non-nil?  In that case, the premise
behind `bookmark-maybe-historicize-string' is all wrong anyway, and the
macro should be rewritten to:

  `(when (called-interactively-p 'interactive)
     (setq bookmark-history (cons ,string bookmark-history))))

The issue is larger than just `bookmark-rename', obviously.

By the way, your guess is right: it's useful (I think) to have the old
name in the history for `bookmark-rename', because someone may want to
use it or a variant of it in another bookmark soon.  History is cheap
that way: it's better to have a little junk than to *not* have the thing
the user needs when they need it.

Let's tackle the larger issue with `bookmark-maybe-historicize-string',
and then figure out whether `bookmark-rename' is doing the right thing.

-Karl