Subject: Re: bug#12492: vc-dir vs. vc-root-dir

From: Ivan Shmakov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2015 12:12:55 +0000

>>>>> Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

 >> Why is that a problem?

 > It's not a "problem", just a cost/benefit tradeoff.

	The “problem” as I see it is that we have at least two groups of
	VC users, – those who’d use vc-root vc-dir buffers so often as
	to make prompting an obstacle, /and/ those who’d prefer for
	vc-dir to remain consistent with the likes of find-file in its
	use of default-directory as, well, the default.

	FTR, one another case where such an “inconsistent” behavior was
	implemented at some point is desktop-read.  However, this change
	is easy to revert with an explicit (setq desktop-path '(".")) in
	one’s ~/.emacs.

	I believe it would be nice to offer the “pro-consistency” VC
	users a similarly simple way to revert to the pre-f302475471df
	behavior.

	(Personally, I guess I’d simply revert the change locally,
	should no suitable customization be implemented.)

	TIA.

-- 
FSF associate member #7257  http://boycottsystemd.org/  … 3013 B6A0 230E 334A