Subject: bug#12492: Acknowledgement (24.2.50; Open vc-dir buffer easier and faster)

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2020 00:47:36 +0200

On 09.03.2020 19:24, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> I don't think having commands to create a project is really
> necessary.  If a project can be "created" by some external command,
> like by placing some special file in the project root, or even by
> defining a few Emacs variables, that is enough.

'git init' would do the trick. No extra files (for the VC project 
backend, at least), nor having to change any variables.

>> I disagree about useless, since most users deal with existing projects
>> 99% of the time.
> 
> In Emacs?  Can you give examples of such existing projects,

An Emacs repository checkout itself, for instance? Or about any other 
project where VC recognizes a root.

 > and how
 > users could use the commands we are discussing with those projects?

With 'M-x project-find-file' or 'M-x project-find-regexp' while being 
inside the directory tree of any of such projects.

I thought you've tried and used these commands already.