Subject: bug#12492: Acknowledgement (24.2.50; Open vc-dir buffer easier and faster)

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2020 00:34:36 +0200

On 06.03.2020 19:12, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> For starters, how do you explain what a "project" is, when
> the only example we can give is a repository?

The way we should either way: with a higher level description.

Something like:

A project is set of files. Which we usually define through a list of 
directories where the files reside, and a list of ignore rules that 
exclude some files within said directories from being considered a part 
of the project.

The above information is provided by the project backend that is in use. 
The main backend supplied with Emacs is based on VC, and it uses 
repository markers and associated ignore files (as well as the 
`project-vc-ignores` variable).

> I see nothing wrong with having this in the VC chapter for now; we can
> always move it out later, when there are other back-ends.  The
> placement of sections in chapters of the manual is neither sacred nor
> final.

As long as it doesn't say that a project is a VC repository.