Subject: Re: bug#12492: Acknowledgement (24.2.50; Open vc-dir buffer easier and faster)

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2020 18:53:39 +0200

On 06.03.2020 18:14, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> So if we want to document the above two commands, we should do that in
> the VC chapter, and talk about "project" meaning the current VCS
> repository?

Umm, that's not how I would do that.

Since the idea behind project.el was to create an abstraction that 
third-party project packages could hook into (Projectile, most 
prominently), I think making such an emphasis is counter-productive.

So I'd rather put it in its own section, rather than create an 
impression that a project = VC repository. But I see how this creates a 
tension between giving practical advice and saying that "things might 
change a little as soon as you install a third-party package". Or enable 
ede-mode, I suppose.

BTW, there is a planned cleanup in the API that I've been thinking on 
for a while. I've been hoping to get it into Emacs 27, but a number of 
other issues conspired to take up the free time, so I guess it'll only 
be there in Emacs 28. So I'm not sure to which extent we should document 
this package in Emacs 27. But the two aforementioned commands will 
remain there, of course.