Subject: Re: bug#12492: Acknowledgement (24.2.50; Open vc-dir buffer easier and faster)

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2020 18:01:25 +0200

On 06.03.2020 11:40, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> We could start by coming up with a list of commands and the use cases
> where these commands are useful.  Then we could reason whether these
> are important enough to add to the manual.

project-find-file and project-find-regexp are the main ones. Useful 
when... you want to visit a file within the current project, or search 
it for a regexp?

xref-query-replace-in-results could also be mentioned, given that it 
allows the user to replace the matches with some other string (both in 
project-find-regexp output, and in xref-find-references output).

> Do we have in core any feature that provides back-end for the
> project.el infrastructure?  It sounds like we only support VC as
> back-end in project.el, is that true?

It's extensible via project-find-functions, which was the core design goal.

In the core, we have only two backends indeed: one using VC, and another 
for EDE.

Though I'm not sure if the latter has any users, and its implementation 
is very simplistic.