Subject: bug#12478: cat SEGV when I press Ctrl-Alt-SysRq-1 on text console

From: Bob Proulx <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2012 10:02:27 -0600

Rafal W. wrote:
> Thanks for your help.
> I've reported this bug against Ubuntu.
> Follow-up: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/coreutils/+bug/1060767

Since you are using Ubuntu that is the right place to pursue the key
mapping problem.  Your report there included good information.

But...  You sent your report against the coreutils package and we
already determined here that this is not related to coreutils.  That
means that your bug report against the coreutils package there was
incorrectly aimed from the start.

Since the problem on your system is very likely something configured
specifically on your system and not generally elsewhere.  I don't have
an Ubuntu system to test this on but I doubt the key sequence there
would do any different than on my Debian machine.  Could be wrong
though.  In any case the first task is to get to the root cause of it.

When I have these types of problems I don't go directly to a bug
report.  For one thing it is often a problem to determine the correct
target to submit against.  As is the case here where twice you have
been submitting against coreutils but your issue has nothing to do
with coreutils.  We have just been trying to be helpful.

Instead I go for help discussion on the users mailing list.  Some
discussion it is often very helpful at determining the root cause.
And then with that information sending a targeted bug report against
the root cause of the problem will usually yield better results.
Especially in this case where I think it is likely to be a key mapping
issue and I have no idea what part of the distro would manage that
part of the system.  Could be console-tools.  Could be kbd.  Could be
something else entirely.  Don't know.  Would need to find that first.

The same is true here.  The coreutils general discussion list is
[email-masked] and we welcome discussion there before submitting a
bug report.  If in the future you have questions or comments it would
be great if you would open the discussion there.

For Ubuntu the users mailing lists are described here:

  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuUsersListFAQ

  http://www.ubuntu.com/support/community/mailing-lists

I would take the problem there next.

Good luck!
Bob