Subject: 24.2.50; `C-x C-q' is bound to an obsolete command

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 09:01:49 -0700

C-h k C-x C-q
 
 C-x C-q runs the command toggle-read-only, which is an interactive
 compiled Lisp function in `files.el'.
 
 It is bound to C-x C-q.
 
 (toggle-read-only &optional ARG INTERACTIVE)
 
 This function is obsolete since 24.3;
 use `read-only-mode' instead.
 
 Not documented.
 
If the command is obsolete, why is the key bound to it and not to its
replacement?
 
Why does the help say "Not documented"?  Well, because there is no
longer any doc string.  That's a second bug: users now have no doc for
the key.  They can follow the link to the doc for `read-only-mode', but
that is not the command that is invoked.
 
If `C-x C-q' still invokes `toggle-read-only', then `C-h k C-x C-q'
should still provide the doc for `toggle-read-only'.  You removed the
doc string, which explains what `toggle-read-only' does.

In GNU Emacs 24.2.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2012-09-17 on MARVIN
Bzr revision: 110062 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
Configured using:
 `configure --with-gcc (4.7) --no-opt --enable-checking --cflags
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/src
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libpng-dev_1.4.3-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/zlib-dev_1.2.5-2/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/giflib-4.1.4-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/jpeg-6b-4/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/tiff-3.8.2-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-3.0.9/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libiconv-1.13.1-1-dev/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libxml2-2.7.8/include/libxml2'