Subject: bug#12448: 24.2.50; Background colour is flawed/unchangable

From: Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 22:53:17 +0800

Marvin Gülker <[email-masked]> writes:

> The background colour of Emacs when started in windowed mode if flawed
> somewhow. Lines of text have another background than the overall editing
> area, and trying to change the color via M-x set-background-color does
> only affect the background color of the text lines. The same goes for
> themes, even if a choose a theme with dark background this only affects
> the background of the text, the rest of the editing area always stays in
> a light grey. This is even the case when starting Emacs with the -Q
> option. See the attached screenshot for a demonstration.
>
> I'm using the Emacs sources checked out from the Bazaar repository just
> today; my OS is Arch Linux 64-bits. Desktop environment is mostly XFCE,
> with the exception for the window manager which I replaced with i3. 

I'm afraid I can't reproduce this.  Doing emacs -Q followed by M-x
set-background-color RET light blue RET, the background of the entire
frame becomes light blue, including the non text areas.

This is with latest trunk,
GNU Emacs 24.2.50.17 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.4.2)