Subject: bug#12447: 24.1.50; Stuck in garbage collection on OS X

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2012 16:07:07 +0400

On 16.09.2012 15:53, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2012 14:44:30 +0400
>> From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
>> CC: [email-masked], [email-masked]
>>
>> Like I wrote in 12326, AFAICT, the problem is that timer_check_2 doesn't
>> at any point check that Emacs is still idle. When run-with-idle-timer
>> calls (timer-activate-when-idle timer t), the new timer is added to the
>> list, timer_check_2 reaches is and runs it immediately because
>> 'timer_idleness_start_time' still has the same value.
>
> If that is the problem, then perhaps having timer_check_2 work on a
> copy of the list would solve the problem.  Did you try that?

I'm no C programmer, so I didn't try to fix it in C code. How would I 
make a copy of a list there?

But no, it probably won't: the "guilty" commit made timer_check_2 
actually return 0 after a timer fires (keeping true to the comment above 
it), so a local copy would serve no purpose.

Assuming it would've worked, though, wouldn't it make the second 
argument to 'timer-activate-when-idle' useless?