Subject: bug#12326: closed (Re: bug#12447: 24.1.50; Stuck in garbage collection on OS X)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2012 13:22:04 +0000

Your bug report

#12447: 24.2.50; js2-mode freezes on current trunk

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
12447: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=12447
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#12447: 24.1.50; Stuck in garbage collection on OS X
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2012 16:18:56 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 22:26:18 +0800
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> >> If I understand correctly, js2-mode (prior to the workaround) assumed
> >> the new behavior: it called run-with-idle-timer from inside the idle
> >> timer, with the same delay, with the intention of scheduling for the
> >> next period of idleness.
> >
> > I have no idea what js2-mode wants to do.  What I wrote above was
> > based on my limited reading of the code fragments posted to that bug.
> 
> OK, I guess your approach is fine.  Please go ahead and commit your
> patch when you're ready, and amend the docstring of run-with-idle-timer
> as Dmitry suggested.

Done in trunk revision 110138.  I'm therefore closing this bug.

Subject: 24.2.50; js2-mode freezes on current trunk
From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2012 01:57:34 +0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

js2-mode freezes during editing in some buffers.

This has been a long-standing complaint on Mac OS X port, but now it
affect Linux and Windows users too, see
https://github.com/mooz/js2-mode/issues/49

Bisecting the Bazaar history (on a Windows machine) points to the
month-old commit no 109470, which adds one line in `timer_check_2'.

Here's the timer-scheduling function from js2-mode:

(defun js2-mode-reset-timer ()
   "Cancel any existing parse timer and schedule a new one."
   (if js2-mode-parse-timer
       (cancel-timer js2-mode-parse-timer))
   (setq js2-mode-parsing nil)
   (setq js2-mode-parse-timer
         (run-with-idle-timer js2-idle-timer-delay nil
                              #'js2-mode-idle-reparse (current-buffer))))

It's only called from an after-change function and from a
`js2-mode-idle-reparse' callee, in case parsing has been interrupted.
To handle interruptions, the parser code periodically calls
(input-pending-p), and when it's true, aborts and reschedules.

Any ideas?

In GNU Emacs 24.2.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7601)
  of 2012-09-01 on SOL
Bzr revision: 109843 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
  `configure --with-gcc (3.4) --cflags -IJ:/Apps/system/gnuwin32/include'

Important settings:
   value of $EMACSDATA: C:/Users/gutov/vc/emacs-bzr/trunk/etc
   value of $EMACSDOC: C:/Users/gutov/vc/emacs-bzr/trunk/etc
   value of $EMACSLOADPATH: 
C:/Users/gutov/vc/emacs-bzr/trunk/site-lisp;C:/Users/gutov/vc/emacs-bzr/trunk/../site-lisp;C:/Users/gutov/vc/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp;C:/Users/gutov/vc/emacs-bzr/trunk/leim
   value of $EMACSPATH: C:/Users/gutov/vc/emacs-bzr/trunk/bin
   value of $LANG: RUS
   locale-coding-system: cp1251
   default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Bzr-Log-View

Minor modes in effect:
   recentf-mode: t
   helm-dired-mode: Enable helm completion in Dired functions.
Bindings affected are C, R, S, H.
This is deprecated for Emacs24+ users, use `helm-mode' instead.
   shell-dirtrack-mode: t
   helm-match-plugin-mode: t
   global-undo-tree-mode: t
   undo-tree-mode: t
   global-diff-hl-mode: t
   diff-auto-refine-mode: t
   savehist-mode: t
   yas/global-mode: t
   yas/minor-mode: t
   global-auto-revert-mode: t
   cua-mode: t
   global-ethan-wspace-mode: t
   global-auto-complete-mode: t
   autopair-global-mode: t
   ido-ubiquitous-mode: t
   ido-everywhere: t
   show-paren-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   buffer-read-only: t
   column-number-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<triple-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down>
<triple-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down>
<triple-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down> <wheel-up>
<double-wheel-up> <triple-wheel-up> <triple-wheel-up>
<help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <wheel-down> <wheel-up> <double-wheel-up>
<wheel-up> <double-wheel-up> <triple-wheel-up> <triple-wheel-up>
<wheel-up> <double-wheel-up> <triple-wheel-up> <triple-wheel-up>
<triple-wheel-up> <wheel-up> <double-wheel-up> <triple-wheel-up>
<triple-wheel-up> <triple-wheel-up> <wheel-down> <double-wheel-down>
<triple-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down>
<triple-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down>
<triple-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down>
<triple-wheel-down> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> C-x 3 C-; \ .
e r b <return> <down> <down> <down> <end> SPC <backspace>
SPC <backspace> SPC <backspace> SPC <backspace> SPC
<backspace> <home> <delete> SPC <backspace> <delete>
SPC C-z SPC C-z <down> SPC <backspace> <up> <down>
<end> <up> <up> <up> <backspace> % <backspace> % <backspace>
% <backspace> % <backspace> ? % <backspace> <backspace>
% <backspace> % <backspace> % <backspace> % <down>
<down> <down> <down> C-x 0 <wheel-down> <double-wheel-down>
<triple-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down>
<wheel-up> <double-wheel-up> <triple-wheel-up> <triple-wheel-up>
<triple-wheel-up> <wheel-up> <double-wheel-up> <triple-wheel-up>
<triple-wheel-up> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1>
<wheel-down> <double-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <wheel-up>
<double-wheel-up> <triple-wheel-up> <triple-wheel-up>
<triple-wheel-up> <wheel-down> <double-wheel-down>
<triple-wheel-down> C-c <left> C-c <left> C-c <left>
C-c <left> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down>
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down>
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <up>
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up>
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up>
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up>
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up>
<up> <up> <prior> <next> <next> <down> <down> <down>
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down>
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down>
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down>
<down> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up>
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <down>
<down> <down> <left> C-x 3 M-x r e p o r t - e m a
c s <right> <return>

Recent messages:
Winner undo (1 / 8)
Finding changes in c:/Users/gutov/vc/emacs-bzr/trunk/src/keyboard.c...
byte-code: End of buffer [8 times]
byte-code: Beginning of buffer [7 times]

Undo branch point!
Winner undo (1 / 15)
Winner undo (2 / 15)
Winner undo (3 / 15)
Winner undo (4 / 14)

Load-path shadows:
c:/Users/gutov/.emacs.d/elpa/magit-20120616/.dir-locals hides 
c:/Users/gutov/.emacs.d/elpa/sunrise-commander-20120705/.dir-locals
c:/Users/gutov/.emacs.d/elpa/magit-20120616/.dir-locals hides 
c:/Users/gutov/vc/emacs-bzr/trunk/lisp/gnus/.dir-locals

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils js json imenu css-mode
ruby-electric ruby-tools inf-ruby ruby-mode mmm-mode mmm-univ mmm-class
subword mmm-erb derived mmm-region mmm-utils sgml-mode whitespace
add-log log-view pcvs-util vc-bzr cc-langs cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess
cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs unsafep
flyspell ispell recentf tree-widget wid-edit bow helm-files image-dired
tramp tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs shell pcomplete format-spec dired-x
dired-aux thingatpt helm-tags helm-locate helm-help helm-grep
helm-regexp grep helm-external helm-bookmark helm-buffers helm-elscreen
helm-utils compile comint ansi-color helm-match-plugin helm helm-config
elisp-slime-nav etags paredit saveplace undo-tree diff diff-hl
face-remap vc-hg vc-git vc ediff-merg ediff-diff ediff-wind ediff-help
ediff-util ediff-mult ediff-init ediff vc-dispatcher diff-mode savehist
yasnippet autorevert cua-base winner point-stack .emacs-loaddefs
cyril-util devenv ethan-wspace pos-tip ac-slime auto-complete-config
auto-complete popup eproject-extras ibuf-macs ibuf-ext ibuffer iswitchb
eproject esh-var esh-io esh-cmd esh-opt esh-ext esh-proc esh-arg eldoc
esh-groups eshell esh-module esh-mode esh-util progmodes dropdown-list
mmm mmm-auto mmm-vars mmm-compat autopair easy-mmode keys switch-window
quail help-mode easymenu hippie dired winring ring transpose-frame
iflipb misc prefs defuns birds-of-paradise-plus-theme-autoloads
coffee-mode-autoloads eldoc-eval-autoloads findr-autoloads
gist-autoloads gh-autoloads inf-ruby-autoloads inflections-autoloads
iy-go-to-char-autoloads logito-autoloads move-text-autoloads
pcache-autoloads finder-inf rainbow-mode-autoloads
ruby-electric-autoloads ruby-tools-autoloads
starter-kit-bindings-autoloads windmove starter-kit-lisp-autoloads
cl-macs gv elisp-slime-nav-autoloads starter-kit-autoloads edmacro
kmacro smex cl cl-lib starter-kit-misc warnings ffap url-parse
auth-source eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv macroexp
gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr password-cache url-vars ido-ubiquitous ido
paren starter-kit-defuns uniquify advice help-fns advice-preload
magit-autoloads ido-ubiquitous-autoloads smex-autoloads
find-file-in-project-autoloads idle-highlight-mode-autoloads
paredit-autoloads sunrise-commander-autoloads switch-window-autoloads
tango-2-theme-autoloads twilight-bright-theme-autoloads typing-autoloads
undo-tree-autoloads volatile-highlights-autoloads wgrep-autoloads
yaml-mode-autoloads package time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 disp-table ls-lisp w32-win w32-vars
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment
lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer button faces cus-face files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process multi-tty emacs)