Subject: Emacs, a segmentation fault occurs when saving a file on a NFS partition.

From: Yves Baumes <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 17:54:40 +0200

This instance of emacs has been launched with "emacs -Q" and the
segmenation occurs the same way. Here is a backtrace of it:

#0  0x007af5f9 in free () from /lib/tls/libc.so.6
#1  0x00a4ee25 in freecon () from /lib/libselinux.so.1
#2  0x0813fcff in Ffile_selinux_context (filename=139528593) at
fileio.c:2846
#3  0x0817b138 in Ffuncall (nargs=2, args=0xbfffd7d8) at eval.c:3004
#4  0x081ada6a in exec_byte_code (bytestr=<value optimized out>,
vector=136620805, maxdepth=20, args_template=138402570, nargs=0, args=0x0)
at bytecode.c:785
#5  0x081ae1de in Fbyte_code (bytestr=136620777, vector=136620805,
maxdepth=20) at bytecode.c:423
#6  0x0817a277 in eval_sub (form=136620766) at eval.c:2352
#7  0x0817bfa1 in internal_lisp_condition_case (var=138402570,
bodyform=136620766, handlers=136621254) at eval.c:1468
#8  0x081accb9 in exec_byte_code (bytestr=<value optimized out>,
vector=136620661, maxdepth=24, args_template=138402570, nargs=0, args=0x0)
at bytecode.c:981
#9  0x0817aac7 in funcall_lambda (fun=136620613, nargs=0,
arg_vector=0xbfffdc34) at eval.c:3232
#10 0x0817af4f in Ffuncall (nargs=1, args=0xbfffdc30) at eval.c:3062
#11 0x081ada6a in exec_byte_code (bytestr=<value optimized out>,
vector=136625541, maxdepth=28, args_template=138402570, nargs=0, args=0x0)
at bytecode.c:785
#12 0x0817aac7 in funcall_lambda (fun=136625501, nargs=0,
arg_vector=0xbfffddc4) at eval.c:3232
#13 0x0817af4f in Ffuncall (nargs=1, args=0xbfffddc0) at eval.c:3062
#14 0x081ada6a in exec_byte_code (bytestr=<value optimized out>,
vector=136625373, maxdepth=12, args_template=138402570, nargs=0, args=0x0)
at bytecode.c:785
#15 0x0817aac7 in funcall_lambda (fun=136625333, nargs=0,
arg_vector=0xbfffdf44) at eval.c:3232
#16 0x0817af4f in Ffuncall (nargs=1, args=0xbfffdf40) at eval.c:3062
#17 0x081ada6a in exec_byte_code (bytestr=<value optimized out>,
vector=136624933, maxdepth=20, args_template=138402570, nargs=0, args=0x0)
at bytecode.c:785
#18 0x0817aac7 in funcall_lambda (fun=136624885, nargs=0,
arg_vector=0xbfffe0d4) at eval.c:3232
#19 0x0817af4f in Ffuncall (nargs=1, args=0xbfffe0d0) at eval.c:3062
#20 0x081ada6a in exec_byte_code (bytestr=<value optimized out>,
vector=136624509, maxdepth=16, args_template=138402570, nargs=0, args=0x0)
at bytecode.c:785
#21 0x0817aac7 in funcall_lambda (fun=136624461, nargs=1,
arg_vector=0xbfffe294) at eval.c:3232
#22 0x0817af4f in Ffuncall (nargs=2, args=0xbfffe290) at eval.c:3062
#23 0x081774c8 in Fcall_interactively (function=138869458,
record_flag=138402570, keys=138469605) at callint.c:852
#24 0x0817b10f in Ffuncall (nargs=4, args=0xbfffe420) at eval.c:3004
#25 0x0817b2a8 in call3 (fn=8874020, arg1=8874020, arg2=8874020,
arg3=8874020) at eval.c:2801
#26 0x08118835 in Fcommand_execute (cmd=138869458, record_flag=138402570,
keys=138402570, special=138402570) at keyboard.c:10330
#27 0x0811fef9 in command_loop_1 () at keyboard.c:1572
#28 0x081781da in internal_condition_case (bfun=0x811fbc4 <command_loop_1>,
handlers=138472482, hfun=0x8119038 <cmd_error>) at eval.c:1514
#29 0x08112fca in command_loop_2 (ignore=138402570) at keyboard.c:1160
#30 0x081780e9 in internal_catch (tag=138470434, func=0x8112fac
<command_loop_2>, arg=138402570) at eval.c:1271
#31 0x08112e81 in command_loop () at keyboard.c:1139
#32 recursive_edit_1 () at keyboard.c:759
#33 0x08112f97 in Frecursive_edit () at keyboard.c:823
#34 0x0811202c in main (argc=3, argv=0xbfffeb04) at emacs.c:1715
1 - I open a file located on a NFS partition. For instance my .emacs.
2 - I try to modify it. Then I save it (C-x C-s).
3 - Segfault.

Same scenario on a local hard drive does not lead to a segfault.

Regards
Yves