Subject: bug#12443: 24.2.50; Default values in the minibuffer prompt (fix inconsisntecy)

From: Andrii Kolomoiets <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2020 12:11:39 +0300

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Juri Linkov <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> It seems this "default" value is needed here only for convenience
>> of retrieving it into the minibuffer for editing using the M-n key.
>
> Ah, right.

Is it possible that changes related to this bug leads to broken
minibuffer-electric-default-mode?

Code to evaluate:

    (custom-set-variables
     '(minibuffer-eldef-shorten-default t))
    (minibuffer-electric-default-mode)
    (read-string "prompt (default foo): ")

In Emacs 27 prompt looks like "prompt [foo]: ". After input "z" prompt
will looks like "prompt: z".

In Emacs 28 prompt looks like "prompt (default foo): ". And after input
"z" prompt will looks like "promptz".