Subject: bug#12442: 24.2.50; gtk toolkit with split-window-right

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 09:47:17 -0400

In GNU Emacs 24.2.50.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.4.2)
 of 2012-09-14 on t520sds
Bzr revision: 110026 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11103000
Configured using:
 `configure '--with-wide-int''

Today I rebuilt emacs and it chose gtk instead of athena for the
toolkit.
I run emacs in a full screen mode with a side-by-side
(split-window-right) windows, and the first things I see are:

1. the right window (or, rather, all windows except for the left-most
one) do not have left fringe.

2. also, those fringe-less windows do not display the first character in
each line properly: it looks like the first pixel column is missing (it
comes back when the cursor moves over it, but then it goes away again)

Important settings:
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LANG: C
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: ESS[S]

Minor modes in effect:
  ess-roxy-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  rcirc-track-minor-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  url-handler-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t

Recent input:
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <down> <down> <down> <left> <left> 
<left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <down-mouse-1> 
<mouse-1> <select-window> <select-window> <down-mouse-1> 
<mouse-1> <up> <up> <up> <left> C-M-f C-M-b C-x C-f 
C-g <select-window> <select-window> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> 
<mouse-1> C-x s C-x C-f <M-backspace> C-/ c l e a n 
- <tab> <backspace> <tab> - l a n g u a g e . p l <return> 
<return> <M-backspace> <backspace> ! / b i n / p e 
r l <M-left> <M-left> u s r / <select-window> <select-window> 
<XF86Back> <XF86Forward> <XF86Forward> <C-home> <select-window> 
<select-window> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <return> M-; 
c l e a n SPC l a n g u a g e SPC c o l u m n s C-x 
k <return> SPC C-x b s h <tab> <return> C-x C-f ~ / 
R / s h <tab> <return> <C-home> <down> <down> <down> 
C-c C-n <C-end> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <C-home> <next> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> 
<up> C-c C-n C-c C-n C-h o e s s . * r e m o t e <return> 
<select-window> <select-window> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-2> <help-echo> <select-window> 
<select-window> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> q <down-mouse-1> 
<mouse-1> q <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <C-home> <down-mouse-1> 
<mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> <drag-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> 
<mouse-1> <double-down-mouse-1> <mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> 
<double-drag-mouse-1> <C-insert> <next> <down-mouse-1> 
<mouse-1> <double-down-mouse-1> <mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> 
<double-drag-mouse-1> <C-insert> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> 
C-x C-f <M-backspace> . R <tab> <return> <C-home> <down-mouse-1> 
<mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> <drag-mouse-1> <C-insert> 
<select-window> <select-window> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> 
<left> <C-home> <down> <left> <left> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <select-window> <select-window> <down-mouse-1> 
<mouse-1> <XF86Back> <C-home> C-x C-f i <tab> <backspace> 
g <tab> <return> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> C-x s M-x 
r e p o <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
ess-tracebug mode enabled
using process 'R'
Mark set [2 times]
Type "q" in help window to restore its previous buffer.
mouse-2, RET: Display more help on this command
Mark set [3 times]
call-interactively: Beginning of buffer
Mark set
(No files need saving)
<f2> runs the command sds-split-window

Load-path shadows:
/home/sds/src/sitelisp/jdee/lisp/.dir-locals hides /home/sds/src/emacs/trunk/lisp/gnus/.dir-locals
/home/sds/src/emacs/trunk/lisp/textmodes/flyspell hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/flyspell
/home/sds/src/emacs/trunk/lisp/textmodes/ispell hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/ispell

Features:
(shadow sort bbdb-message mailalias cookie1 mail-extr gnus-msg gnus-art
mm-uu mml2015 epg-config mm-view mml-smime smime dig mailcap gnus-sum
nnoo gnus-group gnus-undo nnmail mail-source gnus-start gnus-spec
gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 gmm-utils
mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums ess-roxy hideshow
auto-complete edmacro kmacro popup cperl-mode ispell log-edit
smerge-mode add-log log-view pcvs-util time-stamp dabbrev cc-langs jde
derived jde-annotations jde-open-source semantic/senator
semantic/decorate pulse jde-bsh jde-parse-expr etags jde-class
jde-parse-class jde-import semantic/find jde-java-font-lock
jde-which-method jde-java-grammar jde-wiz jde-complete semantic/idle
jde-plugins jde-gen tempo jde-run jde-jdb jde-bug jde-dbs jde-dbo
regress jde-db jde-parse sregex jde-imenu semantic/imenu
semantic/db-file cedet-files semantic/db eieio-base semantic/java
semantic/doc avl-tree semantic/sb speedbar sb-image dframe semantic/sort
semantic/format ezimage semantic/tag-ls semantic/ctxt jde-compile
cus-edit semantic/util-modes semantic/util semantic semantic/tag
semantic/lex semantic/fw mode-local cedet jde-help jde-widgets
tree-widget beanshell lmenu jde-custom jde-project-file jde-util
arc-mode archive-mode efc jde-autoload find-dired dired grep js json
cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine
vc-git vc-bzr vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs vc-dir ewoc misearch
multi-isearch help-mode apropos cl-macs gv diff-mode easy-mmode vc
vc-dispatcher vc-hg midnight autoloads gnus gnus-ems nnheader mail-utils
wid-edit bbdb-mua bbdb-com mailabbrev bbdb-loaddefs bbdb timezone rcirc
server uniquify warnings which-func imenu url-handlers url-parse
auth-source eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv gnus-util mm-util
mail-prsvr password-cache url-vars paren help-at-pt cus-start cus-load
ido ess-toolbar ess-mouse mouseme thingatpt browse-url ess-menu ess-swv
ess-noweb ess-noweb-font-lock-mode ess-bugs-l essd-els ess-sas-d
ess-sas-l ess-sas-a shell pcomplete ess-arc-d ess-vst-d ess-xls-d
ess-lsp-l ess-sta-d ess-sta-l cc-vars cc-defs make-regexp ess-sp6-d
ess-sp5-d ess-sp3-d ess-julia ess-r-d compile ess-tracebug advice
advice-preload ess-help ess-developer ess-r-args eldoc help-fns ess-s-l
ess ess-inf comint ansi-color ring ess-mode ess-noweb-mode ess-utils
ess-custom executable easymenu ess-compat ess-site cl cl-lib time-date
tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode
register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on Ubuntu 12.04 (precise) X 11.0.11103000
http://www.childpsy.net/ http://dhimmi.com http://thereligionofpeace.com
http://www.memritv.org http://ffii.org http://honestreporting.com
I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.