Subject: bug#1243 closed by Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> (Re: bug#1243: Verilog mode hanging emacs 22.2)

From: [email-masked] (Emacs bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 04:20:04 +0000

This is an automatic notification regarding your bug report
which was filed against the emacs,verilog package:

#1243: Verilog mode hanging emacs 22.2

It has been closed by Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>.

Their explanation is attached below along with your original report.
If this explanation is unsatisfactory and you have not received a
better one in a separate message then please contact Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> by
replying to this email.

-- 
1243: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=1243
Emacs Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#1243: Verilog mode hanging emacs 22.2
From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 23:09:17 -0500

2009-02-12  Stefan Monnier  <[email-masked]>

    * progmodes/verilog-mode.el (verilog-mode): Avoid circular use of
    syntax-ppss.

>From [email-masked] Fri Oct 24 13:38:28 2008
Content-Class: urn:content-classes:message
Subject: Verilog mode hanging emacs 22.2
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 16:38:08 -0400
From: "Mitchell, Paul" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>

------_=_NextPart_001_01C93618.6C968A39
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Hi,

We recently switched from emacs 21.3 to 22.2, and have started seeing
this hang.  I've tried updating verilog-mode.el, but it behaves the same
way.  Emacs 21.3 does not exhibit this.

The symptoms:

Bring a verilog file (*.v) into the editor, and either search for
something or simply page down thru it.  After a few searches or pages,
the clock symbol is displayed on the mouse cursor, and emacs is
completely unresponsive.  A "top" shows that emacs is using most of the
cpu.  Nothing I've tried from within emacs has been able to break out of
this - the emacs process is hung.  This seems to happen more with
font-lock mode enabled, but it also occurs w/o it.

I've contacted the maintainer of verilog-mode, and he has been able to
reproduce this, but is unsure how to debug it.  His stack trace:

(gdb) where
#0  0x08171d01 in Fbyte_code (bytestr=3D136448595, vector=3D136448620,=20
maxdepth=3D56) at bytecode.c:508
#1  0x081485e4 in Feval (form=3D136448581) at eval.c:2334
#2  0x0814a709 in internal_lisp_condition_case (var=3D137418953,=20
bodyform=3D136448581, handlers=3D136448805) at eval.c:1426
#3  0x081722e3 in Fbyte_code (bytestr=3D136448515, vector=3D136448532,=20
maxdepth=3D32) at bytecode.c:869
#4  0x081489d5 in funcall_lambda (fun=3DVariable "fun" is not available.
) at eval.c:3184
#5  0x08148e4b in Ffuncall (nargs=3D1, args=3D0xbface160) at eval.c:3043
#6  0x081730b9 in Fbyte_code (bytestr=3D156662779, vector=3D156663996,=20
maxdepth=3D16) at bytecode.c:679
#7  0x081489d5 in funcall_lambda (fun=3DVariable "fun" is not available.
) at eval.c:3184
#8  0x08148e4b in Ffuncall (nargs=3D1, args=3D0xbface260) at eval.c:3043
#9  0x081730b9 in Fbyte_code (bytestr=3D156624227, vector=3D156689996,=20
maxdepth=3D32) at bytecode.c:679
#10 0x081489d5 in funcall_lambda (fun=3DVariable "fun" is not available.
) at eval.c:3184
#11 0x08148e4b in Ffuncall (nargs=3D1, args=3D0xbface360) at eval.c:3043
#12 0x081730b9 in Fbyte_code (bytestr=3D136448595, vector=3D136448620,=20
maxdepth=3D56) at bytecode.c:679
#13 0x081485e4 in Feval (form=3D136448581) at eval.c:2334
#14 0x0814a709 in internal_lisp_condition_case (var=3D137418953,=20
bodyform=3D136448581, handlers=3D136448805) at eval.c:1426
#15 0x081722e3 in Fbyte_code (bytestr=3D136448515, vector=3D136448532,=20
maxdepth=3D32) at bytecode.c:869
#16 0x081489d5 in funcall_lambda (fun=3DVariable "fun" is not available.
) at eval.c:3184
#17 0x08148e4b in Ffuncall (nargs=3D1, args=3D0xbface660) at eval.c:3043
#18 0x081730b9 in Fbyte_code (bytestr=3D156662779, vector=3D156663996,=20
maxdepth=3D16) at bytecode.c:679
#19 0x081489d5 in funcall_lambda (fun=3DVariable "fun" is not available.
) at eval.c:3184
#20 0x08148e4b in Ffuncall (nargs=3D1, args=3D0xbface760) at eval.c:3043
#21 0x081730b9 in Fbyte_code (bytestr=3D156624227, vector=3D156689996,=20
maxdepth=3D32) at bytecode.c:679
#22 0x081489d5 in funcall_lambda (fun=3DVariable "fun" is not available.
) at eval.c:3184
#23 0x08148e4b in Ffuncall (nargs=3D1, args=3D0xbface860) at eval.c:3043
#24 0x081730b9 in Fbyte_code (bytestr=3D136448595, vector=3D136448620,=20
maxdepth=3D56) at bytecode.c:679
#25 0x081485e4 in Feval (form=3D136448581) at eval.c:2334
#26 0x0814a709 in internal_lisp_condition_case (var=3D137418953,=20
bodyform=3D136448581, handlers=3D136448805) at eval.c:1426
#27 0x081722e3 in Fbyte_code (bytestr=3D136448515, vector=3D136448532,=20
maxdepth=3D32) at bytecode.c:869
#28 0x081489d5 in funcall_lambda (fun=3DVariable "fun" is not available.
) at eval.c:3184

The details of my system configuration:

In GNU Emacs 22.2.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2008-04-17 on madccat02
Windowing system distributor `Hummingbird Ltd.', version 11.0.10000
Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: C
  locale-coding-system: nil
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Text

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  unify-8859-on-encoding-mode: t
  utf-translate-cjk-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Any suggestions for how to proceed with this?  We'd like to stay
reasonably up-to-date with emacs releases, but as we edit verilog all
the time, this is a bit of a showstopper for us.

Thanks,
Paul Mitchell
HW Design Engineer
AMD, Inc.
(508) 303-3932

------_=_NextPart_001_01C93618.6C968A39
Content-Type: text/html; charset="US-ASCII"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2//EN">
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii">
<META NAME=3D"Generator" CONTENT=3D"MS Exchange Server version =
6.5.7653.38">
<TITLE>Verilog mode hanging emacs 22.2</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<!-- Converted from text/rtf format -->

<P><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">Hi,</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">We recently switched from emacs 21.3 to =
22.2, and have started seeing this hang.&nbsp; I've tried updating =
verilog-mode.el, but it behaves the same way.&nbsp; Emacs 21.3 does not =
exhibit this.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">The symptoms:</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">Bring a verilog file (*.v) into the =
editor, and either search for something or simply page down thru =
it.&nbsp; After a few searches or pages, the clock symbol is displayed =
on the mouse cursor, and emacs is completely unresponsive.&nbsp; A =
&quot;top&quot; shows that emacs is using most of the cpu.&nbsp; Nothing =
I've tried from within emacs has been able to break out of this - the =
emacs process is hung.&nbsp; This seems to happen more with font-lock =
mode enabled, but it also occurs w/o it.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">I've contacted the maintainer of =
verilog-mode, and he has been able to reproduce this, but is unsure how =
to debug it.&nbsp; His stack trace:</FONT></P>

<P><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">(gdb) where</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">#0&nbsp; 0x08171d01 in Fbyte_code =
(bytestr=3D136448595, vector=3D136448620, </FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">maxdepth=3D56) at bytecode.c:508</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">#1&nbsp; 0x081485e4 in Feval =
(form=3D136448581) at eval.c:2334</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">#2&nbsp; 0x0814a709 in =
internal_lisp_condition_case (var=3D137418953, </FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">bodyform=3D136448581, =
handlers=3D136448805) at eval.c:1426</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">#3&nbsp; 0x081722e3 in Fbyte_code =
(bytestr=3D136448515, vector=3D136448532, </FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">maxdepth=3D32) at bytecode.c:869</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">#4&nbsp; 0x081489d5 in funcall_lambda =
(fun=3DVariable &quot;fun&quot; is not available.</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">) at eval.c:3184</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">#5&nbsp; 0x08148e4b in Ffuncall =
(nargs=3D1, args=3D0xbface160) at eval.c:3043</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">#6&nbsp; 0x081730b9 in Fbyte_code =
(bytestr=3D156662779, vector=3D156663996, </FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">maxdepth=3D16) at bytecode.c:679</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">#7&nbsp; 0x081489d5 in funcall_lambda =
(fun=3DVariable &quot;fun&quot; is not available.</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">) at eval.c:3184</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">#8&nbsp; 0x08148e4b in Ffuncall =
(nargs=3D1, args=3D0xbface260) at eval.c:3043</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">#9&nbsp; 0x081730b9 in Fbyte_code =
(bytestr=3D156624227, vector=3D156689996, </FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">maxdepth=3D32) at bytecode.c:679</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">#10 0x081489d5 in funcall_lambda =
(fun=3DVariable &quot;fun&quot; is not available.</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">) at eval.c:3184</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">#11 0x08148e4b in Ffuncall (nargs=3D1, =
args=3D0xbface360) at eval.c:3043</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">#12 0x081730b9 in Fbyte_code =
(bytestr=3D136448595, vector=3D136448620, </FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">maxdepth=3D56) at bytecode.c:679</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">#13 0x081485e4 in Feval =
(form=3D136448581) at eval.c:2334</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">#14 0x0814a709 in =
internal_lisp_condition_case (var=3D137418953, </FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">bodyform=3D136448581, =
handlers=3D136448805) at eval.c:1426</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">#15 0x081722e3 in Fbyte_code =
(bytestr=3D136448515, vector=3D136448532, </FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">maxdepth=3D32) at bytecode.c:869</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">#16 0x081489d5 in funcall_lambda =
(fun=3DVariable &quot;fun&quot; is not available.</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">) at eval.c:3184</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">#17 0x08148e4b in Ffuncall (nargs=3D1, =
args=3D0xbface660) at eval.c:3043</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">#18 0x081730b9 in Fbyte_code =
(bytestr=3D156662779, vector=3D156663996, </FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">maxdepth=3D16) at bytecode.c:679</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">#19 0x081489d5 in funcall_lambda =
(fun=3DVariable &quot;fun&quot; is not available.</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">) at eval.c:3184</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">#20 0x08148e4b in Ffuncall (nargs=3D1, =
args=3D0xbface760) at eval.c:3043</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">#21 0x081730b9 in Fbyte_code =
(bytestr=3D156624227, vector=3D156689996, </FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">maxdepth=3D32) at bytecode.c:679</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">#22 0x081489d5 in funcall_lambda =
(fun=3DVariable &quot;fun&quot; is not available.</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">) at eval.c:3184</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">#23 0x08148e4b in Ffuncall (nargs=3D1, =
args=3D0xbface860) at eval.c:3043</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">#24 0x081730b9 in Fbyte_code =
(bytestr=3D136448595, vector=3D136448620, </FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">maxdepth=3D56) at bytecode.c:679</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">#25 0x081485e4 in Feval =
(form=3D136448581) at eval.c:2334</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">#26 0x0814a709 in =
internal_lisp_condition_case (var=3D137418953, </FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">bodyform=3D136448581, =
handlers=3D136448805) at eval.c:1426</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">#27 0x081722e3 in Fbyte_code =
(bytestr=3D136448515, vector=3D136448532, </FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">maxdepth=3D32) at bytecode.c:869</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">#28 0x081489d5 in funcall_lambda =
(fun=3DVariable &quot;fun&quot; is not available.</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">) at eval.c:3184</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<P><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">The details of my system =
configuration:</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">In GNU Emacs 22.2.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X =
toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">&nbsp;of 2008-04-17 on madccat02</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">Windowing system distributor `Hummingbird =
Ltd.', version 11.0.10000</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">Important settings:</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">&nbsp; value of $LC_ALL: nil</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">&nbsp; value of $LC_COLLATE: nil</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">&nbsp; value of $LC_CTYPE: nil</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">&nbsp; value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">&nbsp; value of $LC_MONETARY: nil</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">&nbsp; value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">&nbsp; value of $LC_TIME: nil</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">&nbsp; value of $LANG: C</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">&nbsp; locale-coding-system: nil</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">&nbsp; =
default-enable-multibyte-characters: t</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">Major mode: Text</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">Minor modes in effect:</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">&nbsp; shell-dirtrack-mode: t</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">&nbsp; display-time-mode: t</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">&nbsp; show-paren-mode: t</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">&nbsp; tooltip-mode: t</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">&nbsp; mouse-wheel-mode: t</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">&nbsp; menu-bar-mode: t</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">&nbsp; file-name-shadow-mode: t</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">&nbsp; global-font-lock-mode: t</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">&nbsp; font-lock-mode: t</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">&nbsp; blink-cursor-mode: t</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">&nbsp; unify-8859-on-encoding-mode: =
t</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">&nbsp; utf-translate-cjk-mode: t</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">&nbsp; auto-compression-mode: t</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">&nbsp; line-number-mode: t</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">&nbsp; transient-mark-mode: t</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<P><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">Any suggestions for how to proceed with =
this?&nbsp; We'd like to stay reasonably up-to-date with emacs releases, =
but as we edit verilog all the time, this is a bit of a showstopper for =
us.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">Thanks,</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">Paul Mitchell</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">HW Design Engineer</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">AMD, Inc.</FONT>

<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Courier New">(508) 303-3932</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>
------_=_NextPart_001_01C93618.6C968A39--