Subject: bug#12419: Mouse click changes layout

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2012 12:39:29 +0200

>> You see no problem with minibuffer window resizing not restoring the
 >> initial configuration?
 >
 > When the minibuffer window's growth absolutely must resize windows
 > other than the lowest one, no.  IMO, it's better than Emacs 23's
 > punting and displaying only a portion of the echo-area message.

Where do you see that?  Can you give an example?

 >>  >> I use ediff with the control panel on the bottom of the frame.  How can
 >>  >> I resize the minibuffer in this case?
 >>  >
 >>  > Why, by resizing the window above the control panel, of course.
 >>
 >> And how would you size the minibuffer back?
 >
 > I don't understand the problem you obviously have in mind.

Then put a one-line window at the bottom of your frame and resize the
minibuffer.  At the time it sizes back the one-line window has grown.

 >> OK.  Please try the patch below and tell me whether it does what you
 >> want.
 >
 > It restores the Emacs 23 behavior, AFAICS.

It doesn't :-(

 > But why can't we do better
 > than that?

Second law of thermodynamics?

 > If the lowest window is large enough, why not show more of
 > the echo-area message, instead of always showing only the last N lines?

I don't understand you.  As far as minibuffer resizing is concerned, you
can show any number of lines in the minibuffer as long as you don't try
to delete other windows.  So the N lines restriction you see must come
from somewhere else.

martin