Subject: bug#12419: Mouse click changes layout

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2012 13:23:35 +0300

> Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2012 11:54:17 +0200
> From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
> CC: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
>  >> The example I gave should have told you.  Think of the bottom window as
>  >> the minibuffer window.
>  >
>  > I did.  And I see no problems with that.
> 
> You see no problem with minibuffer window resizing not restoring the
> initial configuration?

When the minibuffer window's growth absolutely must resize windows
other than the lowest one, no.  IMO, it's better than Emacs 23's
punting and displaying only a portion of the echo-area message.

>  >> I use ediff with the control panel on the bottom of the frame.  How can
>  >> I resize the minibuffer in this case?
>  >
>  > Why, by resizing the window above the control panel, of course.
> 
> And how would you size the minibuffer back?

I don't understand the problem you obviously have in mind.

>  > I
>  > didn't say it won't happen, I just said it will be rare, and therefore
>  > not a reason not to have that behavior.
> 
> OK.  Please try the patch below and tell me whether it does what you
> want.

It restores the Emacs 23 behavior, AFAICS.  But why can't we do better
than that?  If the lowest window is large enough, why not show more of
the echo-area message, instead of always showing only the last N lines?

Thanks.