Subject: bug#12419: Mouse click changes layout

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2012 11:51:11 +0200

> No, I don't see that in Emacs 20 (I don't have 19).  I not only have a copy of
 > it hanging around, I use it much of the time!

According to the ChangeLogs `adjust-window-trailing-edge' was introduced
with Emasc 22 so you should see it even with Emacs 21.

 >> The "shrink only the adjacent
 >> window" behavior you mention was introduced together with
 >> `adjust-window-trailing-edge'.
 >
 > Maybe, but in Emacs 20 I still see only the adjacent window shrink.  I'm on MS
 > Windows - dunno whether that make a difference.
 >
 > GNU Emacs 20.7.3 (i386-*-nt5.1.2600) of Thu Dec 21 2000 on buffy

Strange.  Maybe my memory fails.

 > It would be good to present the alternative behaviors to people in emacs-devel
 > (and maybe even help-gnu-emacs), so they can make an informed choice.  And it
 > might be good to let end users have a choice (e.g., via an option), if that's
 > feasible.

It's not (very) feasible in the case at hand.

 > Before inclusion in a release, a change should be available in a pretest
 > (prerelease version), and users can test it there.  But perhaps there was not
 > enough pretest time.  I believe that pretests used to be longer in the old days.
 >
 > For another thing, users of a pretest should be informed (at least via NEWS, and
 > preferably on emacs-devel by anyone who wants something specific tested during
 > pretest) about new features to be tested.

The routines were installed on 2011-06-10.  There was plenty of time to
test them till the release of Emacs 24.1.

martin