Subject: Re: bug#12419: Mouse click changes layout

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 11:45:33 -0400

> Wouldn't using the "asymmetric" resizing do the job here?  I don't
> think the symmetric variant is ever TRT when triggered by resizing the
> minibuffer window.

I think asymmetric would be a better choice, indeed.

IIUC the difference between "asymmetric" and the old "miniwindow-resize"
behavior is that if the lowest window needs to be shrunk below the
minimum height, the "miniwindow-resize" just gave up, whereas the
"asymmetric" will try to resize further windows.

I think The Right Thing(tm) lies somewhere between the two:
- OT1H it's generally a good idea not to grow the miniwindow larger than
  other windows), hence the old "miniwindow-resize".
- OTOH, if the window just above the minibuffer is a special tiny window
  displaying some auxiliary-info, it sometimes makes sense to treat it
  as a kind of "attachment to the modeline" and to resize the other
  window instead.
So maybe tweaking the asymmetric behavior so it only resizes 1 window
(typically the window immediately above the modeline, but if that one
is marked window-size-fixed, then the one above) would be ideal.

In the mean time, I suggest we try to use asymmetric.

        Stefan

PS: BTW, I've several times wished that when dragging modelines (and
vertical dividers), dragging them back would also bring back the other
dividers.  OTOH, I haven't had the chance to use an Emacs that would
behave like that, so maybe if it did I'd often wish that the dividers
don't move back.