Subject: bug#12418: emacs 24.2; idlw-shell.el: filename completion in IDL shell is not working

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 21:17:49 -0400

>> Actually, that depends on what comint-dynamic-complete-as-filename was
>> used for: if it was used as a *command*, then
>> comint-dynamic-complete-filename is a good replacement.  But if it was
>> used within something like comint-dynamic-complete-functions, then the
>> better replacement is comint-filename-completion.
> Could you make the obsolescence message less definitive-sounding then?

I don't think it's worth the trouble: the use of
comint-dynamic-complete-filename is very rare.

>> IOW, in the case of idlw-shell.el, the better replacement is indeed
>> comint-filename-completion, tho it requires changes in
>> idlwave-shell-complete (basically making it an alias to
>> completion-at-point and turning its body into a list of functions to put
>> on completion-at-point-functions).
> Hopefully you feel like doing that (or reopening this report).

I don't really feel like it, but I will probably be the first to get to
it, regardless of how slowly I do it :-(

        Stefan