Subject: Re: bug#12418: emacs 24.2; idlw-shell.el: filename completion in IDL shell is not working

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 08:36:03 -0400

>> -    (comint-filename-completion)))
>> +    (comint-dynamic-complete-filename)))

> The obsolescence message for comint-dynamic-complete-as-filename seems
> misleading to me:

>    This function is obsolete since 24.1;
>    use `comint-filename-completion' instead.

> Surely it would be better to say `use comint-dynamic-complete-filename
> instead',

Actually, that depends on what comint-dynamic-complete-as-filename was
used for: if it was used as a *command*, then
comint-dynamic-complete-filename is a good replacement.  But if it was
used within something like comint-dynamic-complete-functions, then the
better replacement is comint-filename-completion.

IOW, in the case of idlw-shell.el, the better replacement is indeed
comint-filename-completion, tho it requires changes in
idlwave-shell-complete (basically making it an alias to
completion-at-point and turning its body into a list of functions to put
on completion-at-point-functions).

        Stefan