Subject: Re: bug#12407: url-retrieve-synchronously fails when passed a vector as URL argument

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 03:47:03 -0400

upgradingdave wrote:

> `url-retrieve-synchronously` docs claims to accept a parsed URL vector as
> an argument, but in latest version of emacs 24.1.50 it seems to break when
> passed a URL vector. For example, this throws an error:
>
> (url-retrieve-synchronously
>         (url-generic-parse-url
>          (concat "http://search.maven.org" "/solrsearch/select?q=\""
>                  "log4j" "\"&rows=20&wt=json")))

Thanks for the report, but this works fine in the current trunk.

> I think the problem is the following (line 185 of url.el.gz) should
> first check to make sure the URL is not a vector:
>
>   (setq url (url-encode-url url))

Such a check was added back in June:

    http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-diffs/2012-06/msg00249.html

It seems your sources must be rather out-of-date (they claim to date
from the end of July).

> This is my first time submitting a bug report, so if you need any more
> info, please let me know.

For your next bug report; "throws an error" is vague. Please include the
exact error message (ideally set debug-on-error t and post the
backtrace). Also, saying "line X of file Y" is vague, because we don't
know exactly what your copy of file Y looks like. It is better to quote
a few lines of context. Or even better, send a patch! :)

> In GNU Emacs 24.1.50.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.2.0)
>  of 2012-07-28 on meitnerium, modified by Debian