Subject: bug#12404: 24.2; fails to load X11 resources

From: Yuri D'Elia <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 17:12:37 +0200

On 09/11/2012 09:21 AM, Glenn Morris wrote:
> It works fine for me using Debian's 24.1 package (ie, the GTK+ version),
> started with -q (not -Q because that ignores X resources), under XFCE,
> with an X resource of the form:
>
>     Emacs.font: -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--15-140-75-75-c-90-iso8859-1
>
> I can't remember whether Gnome settings will take precedence if Gnome
> services are running. So suggestion 1 is to recompile --without-gconf
> --without-gsettings and see if it makes a difference.

Whoa... that was completely unexpected:

   gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.interface monospace-font-name
   'Monospace 11'

funny thing is, I absolutely have no gnome/kde installed, so I had 
*absolutely* no idea what I had to use to query this crap...

Also, I tried the emacs24-lucid package which has --without-gconf, but 
not --without-gsettings and thus I have the same behavior.

How can I force emacs to use X11 resources over gsettings? I have been 
using *font for years now to configure the default font globally, 
including with emacs23.

This is probably a default setting pulled from the 
gsettings-desktop-schemas package which is in turn pulled by some weird 
dependencies, not something I can avoid. Also, I never configured it in 
the first place.

I don't mind the gconf/gsettings dependency on the package, so I would 
like to avoid asking Debian's maintaines to build another packaged just 
for this.

Ideas?