Subject: Re: bug#12400: rmdir runs "amok",

From: Linda Walsh <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 03:49:07 -0700

Alan Curry wrote:
> Linda Walsh writes:
>> 	Sorry, the version of rm i've used honored the '-f' flag...
>> Playing mommy to users -- that's what you'd expect  from a university version
>> of unix.
> 
> The people with @gnu.org addresses may be inhibited from telling you to
> shut up. So I'm telling you, please shut up. You're not a constructive
> contributor in any way. 
----
	That's because of obstructive know-it-all people like you who think
anyone who is not like you is wierd and has a problem.

> You're just an incompetent user who thinks that every
> time you do something stupid, it must be someone else's fault for not
> designing the world around your stupidity.
----
	This only makes it obvious you didn't win anything -- you can't argue
against my points based on engineering grounds -- it is only because
you must obey your corporate masters that you resort to personal attacks
on the messenger.

> If you'd posted a description of your problem on a *help* forum, you'd get
> suggestions on how to solve it correctly. But you don't want to admit that
> you need help, you'd rather to clutter up the bug tracker with whining
> messages your failed attempts to solve your problem based on your supposed
> knowledge of dead Unix variants from bankrupt companies.
===
	Every one of those dead variants died after going POSIX.  Now I see
GNU going that way.  Do the math.
	You seem to think I have a problem other than what I stated.  I need
a remove utility that does what rm is advertised to do without the special case
POSIX requirement(s?).
	I'd like a utility that had intelligence, but that would be way over
your head.

	Why shouldn't "rm dir/" remove an empty directory?  Why shouldn't
-f, do what it means -- ignore errors and delete what it can?  Why shouldn't
rm use rm "dir/."  do something useful, safely -- why do you insist on it
doing nothing more than flaunting it's inability to do anything useful?

	When I point out that I want to remove all files under
a directory AND stay on a file system -- then you call me weird -- because
you have no solution.  It can't be done with 'rm'.  You claim it is weird?
why have "--one-file-system if the command is SUPPOSED to traverse network
file systems?

	you keep making statements like you know something about all users
and if they come up with a case that doesn't fit into your narrow predefined
world view, it's they who have the problem.   Software is supposed to empower
users -- not be used to abuse them -- your use of software is screw users
and push how right you are and how much of a winner you are -- by putting
them down.   If they want to constructively add to a command, they are not
allowed because it is required that certain features not be allowed by something
that is supposed to be a compatibility guideline of what to provide to support
compliant programs -- it's not supposed to be about what NOT to provide...

	It was a list describing a minimal feature set -- NOT a maximal
or limiting feature set.

	You want me to shutup?   Then get out of the way and stop
hogging the pot, cause people like you block everyone else from making
anything better.