Subject: 24.2.50; mark, transient-mark-mode and registers

From: Jambunathan K <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2012 00:40:04 +0530

Full disclosure: I use transient-mark-mode.

Item-1
======

My upvotes for de-activating mark after `prepend-to-register' and
`append-to-register.  

I always use C-g after append-to-register.  If I don't, I find the
highlighted region expanding with cursor motion annoying.  

Discussions on Bug#10056 seem to suggest that the current position is
ambivalent.  The discussion seems to favor status quo rather than
provide a use case that will support the status quo.

    http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=10056#26

Item-2
======

1. Enable transient-mark-mode
2. C-SPC
3. <down> <down>
4. C-g
5. C-u C-x r s a

Now as a transient mark user, I find disappearance of a non-highlighted
text in (5) surprising.  Comments?

In GNU Emacs 24.2.50.19 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2012-09-09 on debian-6.05
Bzr revision: 109935 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10707000
Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_IN
  locale-coding-system: iso-latin-1-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t