Subject: bug#12380: other window related commands broken

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2012 10:18:47 +0200

> I had only tested it with "emacs -q" (forgot about the Q version).
 > However, retesting with "emacs -Q" gives the same behavior.

Interesting.

 > Also, the
 > menu only has "Send Bug Report..." which doesn't work for me "Wrong type
 > argument: string, nil" after I enter a subject title (never having set
 > up emacs to handle mail).

This should not happen.  Can you get us a backtrace by checking the
"Enter Debugger on Error" entry in the Options menu before trying the
"Send Bug Report...".  (My apologies if this has been reported before
and already fixed.)

 > Inside the unsent email buffer was this interesting looking text (and it
 > looked like it would go to [email-masked] so I'm cc'ing that:

Tha's what we need ;-)

 > In GNU Emacs 24.2.1 (i686-pc-cygwin, GTK+ Version 2.24.11)
 >  of 2012-08-27 on fiona

I suppose the following

 > Major mode: Dired by name

is not part of the recipe?  Anyway, back to your first report.  Does

 >> One of the windows **splits vertically**(!!)

mean that the new window appears on the right of another window or below
it?  Also please tell us which window was split - the upper one or the
lower one.  If the new window appears below, then in the window that
gets split please do (before the split):

M-: (window-total-height) RET

and

C-h v split-height-threshold

If the new window appears on the right, please do

M-: (window-total-width) RET

and

C-h v split-width-threshold

instead.  In either case, tell us what gets printed by these.

Thanks, martin