Subject: bug#12371: closed (Re: bug#12371: macroexp--funcall-if-compiled broke bootstrap for me)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 14:18:01 +0000

Your bug report

#12371: 24.2.50; macroexpand-all reporting warnings to *Compile-Log*

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
12371: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=12371
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#12371: macroexp--funcall-if-compiled broke bootstrap for me
From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
To: Troels Nielsen <[email-masked]>
Cc: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 10:16:12 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

>> The first one I think just is a line gone missing.
> No, I removed that line on purpose (an autoload entry shouldn't have
> a nil in position 1, so it should be a redundant test).

That was a brain malfunction, sorry.  Should be fixed now.

>> The next chunk extracts (car form) before it's to late, as form goes
>> about being changed before the closure is being called.
> Duh, sorry 'bout that.  Please install your patch,

I actually installed a different patch instead, which does what your did
plus removes a FIXME.

        Stefan

Subject: 24.2.50; macroexpand-all reporting warnings to *Compile-Log*
From: Christopher Schmidt <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2012 14:58:22 +0100 (BST)
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

emacs -q
M-: (macroexpand-all '(mapc '(lambda ()) nil)) RET

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-function byte-compile-log-warning)

emacs -q
M-x load-library RET bytecomp RET
M-: (macroexpand-all '(mapc '(lambda ()) nil)) RET

A *Compile-Log* buffer appears, with the following content

    Warning: (lambda nil ...) quoted with ' rather than with #'

This is utterly confusing.  There is no compilation going on.  (Another
user experience regarding this issue can be found in bug report 12362 -
<[email-masked]>.)

macroexp--expand-all, which is the originator of the warning, calls
byte-compile-log-warning without consulting byte-compile-warnings.

I think the warning message should include a hint that it was generated
by macroexpanding code and byte-compile-warnings should be consulted as
well.

GNU Emacs 24.2.50.2 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.10) of
2012-09-06.

        Christopher